ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I make my late 260 as fast as a new mustang. I currently have a L24 with a E31 but i am putting in a L28. What can i do to get the most power out of this combination. I have a 3.54 rearend with a 5 speed. Should i bore the L28 out and port and polish the head? i don't want to mess around with a cam. any suggestions would be nice
thanks
matt

·
Registered
399 Posts
Overbore, cam, port/polish, carbs.

> How can I make my late 260 as fast as a new
> mustang. I currently have a L24 with a E31
> but i am putting in a L28. What can i do to
> get the most power out of this combination.
> I have a 3.54 rearend with a 5 speed. Should
> i bore the L28 out and port and polish the
> head? i don't want to mess around with a
> cam. any suggestions would be nice
> thanks
> matt
Matt, with an E31 on an L28 you will be bordering on too high a compression ratio for the street. See Bryan Little's Web Page with has compression ratios for different head/block combos. If you overbore, you will definitely be too high withn E31.

Don't be afraid to go for a cam. Not that hard to install. I am seriously considering doing a L28 with flat top pistons and the .080 P79 head shave Bryan Little discusses on his page. Also, you may want to re-jet your carbs (I assume you have already switched to round top SU's)

I don't know exactly how fast that will get you, but if you do all the above (plus exhaust mods) and also switch to a 3.90 rear end you'll be right in there with the 'stangs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.