ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the two wires in rear side of car where antenna goes, but i now have a new antenna... a black , red , green wire... is there a way to use my switch and make it go up and down? if i put the switch wire to red green it goes up but no way to get it down...

how can i wire it to use the switch??

antenna1.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing so I hope you get replies because I can’t figure mine out either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shoot,,,, so in my case i have the switch working perfect.. power up and power down ( if it were original antenna ) - in this case i put the red green to one side of the switch and antenna went up fine... but then how do i get it down?? lol.. i tried putting other side of the switch just to green.. no luck... blown fuse... i may have to put constant power to red and run a wire ( or use the already ran switch wire, ) to the new radio antenna wire,, then i have no control. radio on antena up radio off antenna down....

any one else know how to make switch do it???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there a way to re wire the switch? to send constant power.. i know the switch has constant power to middle wire... send that to one wire - to give antenna constant power and other side when switch is flipped gives power to green on antenna??
something like that>]??

·
Registered
114 Posts
The original antenna had two + wires going to it (Blue w/red + Blue w/white) and a ground. The switch on the dash uses a single pole double throw switch, + signal to one wire made the antenna go up, switch it to the other + wire and the antenna goes down.

Most after market antennas are fully automatic and operate differently. They have a constant + wire coming from the ignition/on and the other wire comes from the radio (ant) wire. When the radio is turned on, the ant wire sends juice to the antenna and the antenna goes up. When the radio is turned off, the juice stops and the antenna goes down.

Big difference... Old Antenna: one power wire makes antenna go up and the other power wire makes the antenna go down. After market, more modern, fully automatic antennas: it's the turning off of the switched wire that causes the antenna to go down.

Not knowing what antenna you have in the picture above I'm guessing but I bet the red wire is ignition + and the green wire is switched + from the radio head unit. The old switch on the dash can't send the signal that a modern antenna needs. What I'm doing is replacing the switch with a simple on/off switch. The antenna wire will go through this switch (to the green wire) and the ignition + wire will go straight to the antenna (through a fuse, to the red wire). This way, the up signal will be sent via the switch, not the radio turning on.

PMing you a lot more detail...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts