ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please tell me that I'mnot the only one..........

I left my gas cap for my 83 at the gas station....
so anyway....

hoe bad is it to drive without....
obviously I'm gonna replace it...
but how bad it is... I mean...I drove it home
so....

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
What do you expect to happen?

No problem, as long as it doesn't rain, snow, or you take up the habit of smoking near the open orifice...
Then again, a dust storm could be a problem, and you are waaaaaaaay over on EPA Captive Emissions...

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Just don't put a wick into it.

Just don't do what I've seen other people do, and that's stick a rag into the opening.

I've never figured out why they honestly thought that a RAG would stop the gas from escaping. Let me see, a closed container, gasoline, and to close it off.....a wick and voila, a molotov cocktail.

· Registered
24 Posts
Re: Just don't put a wick into it.

I left mine on the back wiper one night and did not notice it until the next day. But the Z-gods smiled on me and retracing my route I found it on the side of the road by the first hard turn towards home.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
why don't you go back...

and get it... they probably have it there if your lucky...

Dan

· Registered
5,340 Posts
Re: Vacum leak

i did that when i first got my Z. i had to drive from lower CO to phoenix and on the way home we stopped and got gas and i left it on top of the pump.i found out the next morning when i got up. i just put tape over the opening cause my car started running bad with the vac leak. then i drove 300 miles back to the gas station and luckily they still had it. now i am sure to check that it is on and tight before i drive away. i would call the gas station and see if someone picked it up and gave it to them and if so ask them to hold it.

· Registered
103 Posts
Which is why it is a good idea to keep a spare cap - ours is kept in the small side compartment in the left rear of the car. It is such a unique item that you obviously cannot replace it with a generic Pep Boys item. While at the junkyard today I picked up another one (without key, but in the unlocked position) for $1.95. I may possibly just Ebay that one. The shop rag trick does serve a valuable purpose in keeping the dirt out of your tank. There really isn't much of a slosh problem resulting in gas coming out of the tank, but the rag in the opening WILL cause water into the tank during a prolonged rain.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Vacum leak Cure.

You don't need the gas cap. All you need tp do is cap the "Fuel Tank" vacuum connection to the Carbon Cannister in the engine compartment and that stops the leak. I suppose I should've mentioned that in the first post, sorry...
I put a bolt in mine.
I got an 81 with a cap I'm scrapping, where are you? No key, though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.