ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when the shift lever, ashtray, and that entire area heat up a lot? I notice that I have a warning not to park over leaves and stuff that comes with the car, I think it is because it is a California car. It has always done this (I think), have not had the car thru a summer yet. It seems to run fine.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Mark, I would be having the cat checked out if it is getting that hot! It may be plugged.
We once had a customer come in
that used a glove because his shifter got so hot, he couldn't touch it. His 5 spd was shot, he finally bought a rebuilt from us, and took his glove off. Seriously, Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Shifter and ashtray gets warm on my '76....
I think it if from exhaust/tranny combination...
but it doesn't get HOT....just warm....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Hot shift lever, ashtray, etc.</b>

My '82 turbo gets hot in the area of the shifter and tranny tunnel. Feels great in the winter but in summer, I sometimes can't rest my right leg against the tunnel it get so hot. Always done it so I figured, it must be normal. That's why they call Zs 'hot cars', right?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mark,
If you have a California version of the '76 you may have a catalytic converter on it which generates a lot of heat that gets absorbed by the transmission tunnel. You might take a look at your tailpipe about 12-18" after your exhaust header. If you have a shielded object there it is probably a converter. It it is getting exceptionally hot then there is a chance it is starting to plug which is bad all around.
Replace it. Regular muffler shop can do it for around $150 plus or minus.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
My 1975 280z get warm in the same place. I think it is pretty normal if you think about it. Have you ever gone an touched the side pipes of a 67 vette? If you did you came back with bured fingers. The exhaust runs under there and that stuff can create alot of heat. You are pretty much sitting right beside it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.