ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a hose that is on the drivers side of the gas tank in my 72 240z and the hose is cracked so i am losing alot of gas because it is leaking out. i cant tell where this hose is going to, it leads up towards the inside of the car but i dont know how to change it. i think it might be leading to the carbon canister. how do i change this hose?
mike

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The hose is one of several vent hoses on the gas tank. I replaced mine with Nissan hoses, while others report satisfactory results with generic non-shaped hoses. If you're going to replace the one hose, replace them all. The Haynes manual actually has enough detail to accomplish this procedure. Highlights include:
1. Draining your gas tank and dropping it down.
2. Quite possibly cutting the old hoses to facilitate removal.
3. Removing a small access panel in the back of the right-rear wheel well to guide one of the hoses.
It took me 2-3 hours to complete.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Steve is right, replace all of those suckers. That particular hose can be replaced without dropping the gas tank if you don't have time to do the whole job right now.

I used bulk auto parts store hose for all but two of the hoses - the gas filler hose ($$$ but good peace of mind) and the thick short hose that runs from the gas filler hose to the expansion tank. That one wasn't any special shape, I just couldn't find any 3/4" hose.

I just did this a few months ago so I can't say whether these hoses would last as long as the Nissan ones.

You'll need to pull 2 panels out of the car - the back one (where the tail lights are) and the side one where the gas filler hose is. Once you do that it will be clear where everything goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.