ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 280z, that since I have bought it, has gotten around 8 miles to the gallon. All 6 injectors are working fine (disconnect any of the six, and the idle drops noticably), it doesn't miss, or run strange, and no visible vacuum leaks. There is no fuel leak, either. Could the head temperature sensor(s) be shot? Also I am about to bite the cold start vavle off of that thing in desperation. That is my only guess (it could be leaking, but why the heck would it still run) Help me out ya'll my 240 was much less tolerant off mixture problems (I COULD TELL when it was screwy, and reset the jets) ARGH. The joys of modern technology. I WAN'T MY SU'S BACK!!!!!!!WAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAA!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Take your spark plugs out, clean them off and give it a good run and re-examine them, they will tell you if your running rich. Do it with all 6 and make notes to see if one or more or all are running rich, it could also be your oxy sensor going out as it determines how rich and lean informantion is sent to the ECU. Check all your connections to these units also.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BW, does a 77 280z even have an oxegen sensor?!??!, if it does, where is it on the manifold? How do you adjust the F/A ratio on an L-Jetronic fuel injection, anyways (in the MAS, perhaps?)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I have a 280z, that since I have bought it,
> has gotten around 8 miles to the gallon. All
> 6 injectors are working fine (disconnect any
> of the six, and the idle drops noticably),
> it doesn't miss, or run strange, and no
> visible vacuum leaks. There is no fuel leak,
> either. Could the head temperature sensor(s)
> be shot? Also I am about to bite the cold
> start vavle off of that thing in
> desperation. That is my only guess (it could
> be leaking, but why the heck would it still
> run) Help me out ya'll my 240 was much less
> tolerant off mixture problems (I COULD TELL
> when it was screwy, and reset the jets)
> ARGH. The joys of modern
> technology. I WAN'T MY SU'S
> BACK!!!!!!!WAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAA!!!
Lynn, check your fuel pressure. Is the car smoking at all? I've seen them run with 75lbs,
smoking, and getting very poor mileage. It may need a pressure regulator.
Joe

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
E-mail Me Direct

Lynn,
I've been through this. Read my post under your other post. If you have further questions I can go into some real detail for you. None of this is hard, you just have to know what to do. In this case, knowledge is everything - especially when it's knowing that you can do most of it but some will absolutely have to be done by a good shop.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: E-mail Me Direct

I chucked the carbon cannister, and all other nefarios extranious smog **** (all those rotten vacuum spagetti lines) and disconnected the cold start injector (plugged it on fuel side and manifold side) the brake booster's diaphram was also toasted. moral of the story is, it revs clean up to 7000, now, and it gets 19mpg driving around in the city. Thank ya'll so much for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.