ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was messin around with my car today and i saw taht the heat shield on under the hood was coming off. i didnt want it to fall down into my motor and somethin bad happen so i decided to tear it off. under it i found taht the previous owner had glued it onto the hood with some type of epoxy.. i figured taht that couldnt have been right beacuse i saw the mounting peg holes where the thing clips on. my quesion is.. can i get like an aftermarket hood head barrier thing from liike auto zone and cut it to shape and glue it back on? if so, wot glue do i use. of not... where cna i get a factory hood head barrier with the right clips.. tahnks- mark

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yeah you can just get generic fire proof matting and cut it to suit; but im not sure about glueing it on though lol I'll leave that up to someone else to answer, I dont know if they're supposed to be glued on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you have some speed shops or race drag shops around they usually carry the after market heat sheilding for the hood. I used on mine to help protect the Emron paint and here in FL the Sun really eats up a paint job

I put mine up using those push plastic things they use on the cars interior parts the ones that go in but dont want to come out. And on the stuff I got has a foil like on both sides...I did use some of the carpet type glue by 3M....its holding just fine...But I would strongly suggest the plastic pushers
84 turbo
topico shocks
velox rims
emron paint
kumos
bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
From my mechanical training, those liners are there so that if your engine should catch on fire they will fall on to the engine to help slow the fire or put it out. Go ahead, try to take a piece and burn it. if its not to dirty with dust and other flammable material it should either not burn or fall apart, or melt to a flame retarndent paste depending on what car and year you get it from. I would leave it there if it was me, for that reason and the reason that, yes, if you live in colder temperatures it will act as a blankte to your engine and keep your engine from "rapidly cooling" after running in cooler temps and causing micro cracks in the engine block or other parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in Florida too, but my Z is white, so I guess I haven't really noticed it doing that. If your's is red or burgundy i might have seen you around, you live in the Orlando area?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont need a hood?? hmm taking the hood of isnt an option.. so yall r sayin taht if i run my car without the heat shield on the hood it wont mess up my paint job or anything?? is it safe to run without one minus that whole fire retardent issue?

·
Registered
373 Posts
my insulation stuff has been gone since I bought the car almost two years ago should I replace it?
I haven't really noticed anything happening yet.
I guess I should also replace the plastic thing on the bottom of the motor too does that thing really help anything?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, $80 from the dealership is reasonable ill check that out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.