ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 91 300zx n/a. I started out with a pacesetter exhaust...it sound HORRIBLE, well anyhow, i replaced those muffles with a set of magnaflow mufflers, which sounded a lot better, but the exhaust was still loud. I added FOUR resonators to deaden the sound. Well its still too loud, so now i am look for something to quieten it down. I was going to get the HKS hyper exhaust, so if anyone has a used one i would be interested. Also i have removed the converters, would this make a difference with HKS exhaust, the only time i want it to be loud, or be heard is when i am full throttle? Any help would be great

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
HKS hiper would be loud. Without the converters, yes it'll be loud.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
yes stock exhaust is very quiet, with your straight pipes, it won't be as quiet, but might be good enuff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
the quietest exhaust I've heard (aftermarket) are the borlas, but it was on a video so I don't know what the rest of their setup was.

A guy I work with just got the HKS on his '90 NA and I think it sounds great. Nice low loud rumble when he first started the car and when he reved, but when the engine settled it was just a deep quiet tone.

The problem you're having, though, is the fact that you removed your converters. If you put those back on, probably even with the exhaust you have now, it would sound better and definitely quieter.

no converter or resonators on NA = LOUD

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i posted this on anothe forum for another guy...but here is a video of my car on the dyno with HKS Hyper exhaust and 2.5" test pipes without CATS. It is N/A as well.

Click here to see Video

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
my hks hypers on my vert produce a nice low rumble, not a tt rumble,but a rumble and i have the cats still. and also at idle their actually pretty quiet, i mean you know they are there but its not loud.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
For you guys staring at Z1 ZONLY's picture. My car is the white one to the left of the screen with the split rims. And Z1 ZONLY's car is the silver one straight across from it looking right at you. I wasw like I know that car but where is mine...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
yes but labree has been proven to be loud on NA's.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Nope....

I have an N/A and it is fairly quiet until WOT. On the N/A you have to run 2.25" with the H pipe and resonators. If you run without the resonators then its loud as ****. Mine has a real sweet low rumble at idle and is just slightly louder at 2500 rpm than the stockers I got rid of. At WOT the system sounds real aggressive.
MaxDoc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.