ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am back to finding a good adhesive for those **** shade buttons. Every time it sits in direct sunlight the sun heats up the T-top glass and softens whatever glue I use and they fall off. I have tried Contact Cement, two part Epoxy and now am trying RTV. Went thru "search" here and saw some comments on various things.
I looked for the black stuff that Red October said he used from Autozone and they nor I could find it, he said "it was in a squeeze tube,black and had a 15 minute hardning time and so far has held." Then I went to a local glass shop and they had nothing, next I called a local Nissan dealer and the parts guy ran thru his computer and found nothing as to what Nissan originally used to cement those darn buttons. He said it only went back as far as 90's.
If anyone has any other glues that WORK, I'd sure as heck appreciate it.
I am getting tired of re-gluing and not being a permanent fix.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
why don't you call your local apholstry shop and ask them I'm sure they will be able to help you way more than anyone here.

Post Edited (Jun 26, 12:34pm)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Steve,
I used Dow 5200 adhesive sealant. It is tough stuff, and you don't use it on anything you ever want to take apart. It takes 24 hours to cure totally, and you need to follow the directions on the tube.
Frank

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my shade buttons on the driver's side T-top. I'm sure you know how hot it gets here in Florida. I simply removed the T-top, took it into the house where the A/C was running, cleaned the surface of the T-top where the button is to attach and super glued it back on. I let it set for about 30 minutes in the A/C and then put it back together on the Z. That was last summer and as of a week ago yesterday when I sold the Z, it was still holding. Good luck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Frank, where can I find the Dow 5200 sealant at?

domdogg, some of the posts in search said they tried it and it did not hold well. Someone told me that it would hold metal to glass but not plastic to glass, so no I have not tried it.

Post Edited (Jun 27, 8:04am)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with a dirtbike of mine. Although mine was plastic to plastic and patching a small hole in my gas tank. I tried everything for a period of a year and a half and nothing would stay on for more than 1 month. the best thing i found was called "Quick steel". Its like play dough that hardens in about an hour, but I wouldnt reccoment it unless you think you can sculpt well, otherwise if it works you will end up with your less than perfect sculpting forever as this stuff is almost unbrakable once hardened. I bought this it at kragen auto parts here in california. I dont know if you have kragens but the quick steel should be available at hardware stores too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Steve,
I've got Dow 5200 at Marine hardware stores, Lowes, and sometimes even at WalMart. Let me know if you can't find it locally, and I'll get a tube and shoot it to you.
Frank

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
notdeadyet,
Thanks Frank will look for it. Also send me your new email address as I get "undeliverable" at your old one "excel.com"

Never had much luck with SuperGlue at all. also the button is recessed inside once you remove all the old stuff inside, its sort of a gray epoxy type stuff, so a thin based glue would not work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Steve,
New email is [email protected]. I forgot to change it here when I moved to Oklahoma. Thanks for reminding me. I may get up to Wichita yet to cruise the junk yards.
Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.