ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know who offers an alternator that's beefed? i have a 77280z and i just put a set of fog lights in and it sucks that all my lights dim at idle, but the gauge goes up to about 15V when at speed. with all my lights on, and 1500rpm, it's right at 12. now i plan on adding a stereo, 2 amps and some neon. am i just gonna have to go with an auxiliary baterry? i've done that before when i did SPL competion, so i know how. but i would rather find an alternator that pushes at least 100 amps.

G

·
A very smart upgrade. I did that on my 86T by going to the Maxima alternator. What a difference! I plan to take my 77 alt. to an alternator shop and tell them what I want at least 100 amps. I don't know how different that would be since it has an external regulator but I suspect very little. My vote is for a rebuild at the alternator shop. Good luck. John.

· Registered
648 Posts
The 1985 --> ? Maxima alternator is 90 amps, and would be a great upgrade. For a 240-280ZX, it will bolt up, but the problem is that you'll have to swap the serpentine pulley for a v-groove pulley. When I was thinking of doing this swap, I could not find a v-groove pulley that would work. I'm now using a Z31 NA 70 amp alternator, which bolted right up.

Sounds like the GM conversion would be your best bet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.