ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a friend and I were trying to fix an annoying problem with one intercooler pipe blowing off at high boost, so we were driving around with the plastic front bumper off.

Anyway we stopped to look at the pipe (with the bonnet open). It looked ok so we took off again. We didnt know at the time though, neither of us had checked the bonnet was actually latched as without the bumper it looked like it was closed properly.

Anyway... you can guess what happend, at 100km/h (~65mph) the bonnet suddenly flew right up! Luckily (or by design I guess) it was held in place by the struts and didnt hit the windscreen! I could see enough to pull over quickly and we had a look at the damage (strut brackets slightly bent, bonnet very slightly bent in middle).

It could have been so much worse - people who say old cars are dangerous should look at the Z ;) Another friends (1990's) Toyota Corolla did the same thing except the bonnet smashed his windscreen!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had the hood on an old Triumph TR3 fly up and land partially on my head (top was down)...the flat side...and lived to tell about it...at least I think I'm still alive...this MIGHT be a parallel universe?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sturm85T........you were very lucky....along with driving a vehicle that is solidly built.......which helped. Years ago, I had the opposite happen when I was into the 280's. I was sitting in the left turn lane of a local highway when an 18 wheeler came by me (from behind) and I suddenly heard a loud slam on my roof (no t-tops). When I turned into the parking lot where I was going and got out to examine the Z, I found that the wind draft from the 18 wheeler had sucked the rear window vent visor (aluminum) that I had installed a year earlier and simply opened it up and laid it (still hinged) on the roof of the Z with absolutly no damage to the roof or the vizor.

Special Ops Lives

·
Registered
657 Posts
i had a v-dub fox( cheap ass car) going down the highway at 80mph the hood came up and allmost off.. the driverside hinge snapped right off.. lucky the passenger side held or i would have taken out the escalade behind me..... that would have been really expensive........

·
Registered
724 Posts
Bob..........you must be living right. I hope you played the lotto that night. LOL

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
HA-HA-HA That happend to me exactly like you described!!!! It sucked! My hood struts saved my windsheild to!! Oh Well im sure your hood looks like a taco like mine did. I just put a new hood on, and it gave me a reason to add the functional hood vents!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.