ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im restoring a 73Z this winter, hopefully someday doing a 280ZXT swap. I am very picky about what my finished project will look like and what impression it will give. I love how original an old Z looks but I also like some of the custom cars ive seen. But the absolute last thing I want to be though of as is a poser. Those little tail lips on the back of some cars look really cool, kind of reminds me of elanor =), the muscle car look. But id hate to be a poser. Although I have seen those fins on lots of old official datsun posters and pictures, so they are in a way originals (only in Japan and California, right?)
And I know that they actually serve a purpose for aerodynamics. But, more honestly, I really appreciate the sleek back look of a Z without anything on the back. How much do the fins help for aerodynamics? Does anyone else have this dilemma?

Thanks a bunch
I really need to make up my mind soon.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey, I am in the same boat with my 72Z. I really like the BRE style lip spoiler but I'm not sure if I want to drill holes in my virgin sheet metal! I know that the spoiler is a bona fide dealer option, so you wont lose any originality. And as far as being a poser- fughettaboutit! Z's being rear wheel drive benefit from a rear spoiler, unlike front wheel drive rice-mobiles. I would be installing a spoiler for aesthetics only though- I don't plan on visiting the autobahn anytime soon. I am in the process of restoring my Z right now. It is in surprisingly good shape. I have not found any rust hiding anywhere, I'm amazed. Well, good luck with your project.

·
Registered
548 Posts
At speed (80 mph +) I can feel the front and rear hunch down considerably. The steering feels precise and it holds the road really good. Aero kits do work. Beware of high crosswinds though. Scared the crap out of myself a while back when I got hit by about a 40 mph crosswind gust.
It is a difficult decision to do any mods to the Z especially when you have to start drilling and filling. I wanted the aero look and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am not sure about the poser concern. You gotta like your car and the way it looks and not be worried about what others are going to think. Besides, you are driving a Z car.

You want to here about a car that is not original from the factory? My car has large stickers on both doors the say "Black Rock Ranger" with a Burning Man emblem in the middle, has a small desert sticker on the front of the hood and often carrys an amber light bar. It is a 240z with a 280z engine/tranny in it. I run a 2 chamber flowmaster which is loud as **** and quite obnoxious but I keep it to a minimum. I run Corbeau racing seats with 5 point harnesses on both sides. I have super powerful blue headlights. I run 5 way tokico shocks, eibach springs and sway bars both front and back. I have 2 police scanners, a radar detector and a laser detector mounted inside. I have a fire extinguiser mounted on the center console. I am running an MSA aerokit all the way around the car and have had the bump strip removed from the side of the car in addtion to using aftermarket 'Testarosa' mirrors. Since I usually park it in the city it has become riddled with little dings. The entire 'bumper' part of the front air **** was broken out by someone's trailer hitch so the front of the car looks like a big shark's mouth. My car is as far as you are going to get from original. But you know what, I have never had another car owner (Z or non-Z) walk up and call me (or even imply that I am) a poser. Now maybe that is because I carry myself in a manner that tells them I am not all that concerned with their opinion but I think it has more to do with the fact that I am driving a Z car. Z-car owners are always pulling up along side me to say 'hi'. So basically, don't worry about it.

As far as aerodynamics go, anything you put on the back is going to help push the back end down. Of course with the early year Z cars the back end stays put pretty well but for more agressive driving you might want a fin or wing. This will be beneficial for cornering but can hurt you on straight aways. But once you get up to top speeds it again helps just by keeping your car from taking off. I don't run anything on the back of my Z but am considering it due to 'taking off' at high speeds. My aerokit definitely helps (as someone said at 80+) especially since I routinely do desert runs that hit 145mph. At that speed even a 10 mph cross wind can pick me up and move me half a lane in either direction. I think that is just the nature of the beast being that these 240z's are so light. I guess I could add a big wing to the back and work on something for the front but that will probably hurt the top speed so I think I might pass.

If you are going for all matching numbers and the original look than worry about factory original. Otherwise just be your own original and the only people that will think you are a poser will obviously be people whose opinions don't matter because they themselves are uncomfortable with who they are. That is the beauty of the Z. So many options, too few spaces in the garage.

Houston

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The thing to consider is that these car's were from 1950's designs and ALL these cars, whether exotic or not had lousy aero qualities.
What are you after? If you regularly exceed 90 mph you need aero help.
Forget about going over 120 mph stock unless you have a death wish.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jcool78 2plus2 wrote:
>
> The thing to consider is that these car's were from 1950's
> designs and ALL these cars, whether exotic or not had lousy
> aero qualities.
> What are you after? If you regularly exceed 90 mph you need
> aero help.
> Forget about going over 120 mph stock unless you have a death
> wish.

or a small block 350 :)

and mind, you not ALL cars from back then had lousy aero qualities. the goofy looking Saab 9-2 has an aerodynamic drag near a 90's MR2.

As far as Datsun Z aerodynamics go, you are correct, they wern't intended to go over 70-80mph regularly, althought many of them do (; {brag} i've had mine up fairly high, for such an 'old car' San Francisco, CA, to Portland, OR in under 8 hours (including stopping for gas 3 times) {/brag}
Zs are beautiful cars for backroads, mountain trails, and city yellow light turns (;
honistly, my car scares me going over 90mph if you're going that fast, please worry about suspension bushings and tyres more than aerodynamics.

-Donald '76 280z

·
Registered
177 Posts
I routinely take my 280ZX well over the speed limit..
i hit 100 almost daily... and i have a front lip...
for awhile i took it off to see just how big the difference was... and if it tells you anything.. i put it back on..
at speeds that werent even that high.. wind would toss the car around like nothing. and it's not even as light as the 240.
with it on.. i feel confident at top speed (around 120)... only fear i have.. is of blowing the engine lol...
i noticed that for some reason.. at top speed... my cd player starts to skip REALLY bad.. and will eventually stop making any sound at all.. and will just sit there trying to do anything... until i bring the speed down a bit... it only does that above 110 though..

and there's surprisingly low wind noise.. and engine noise is fairly minimal... only prob is the cd player....
oh yeah.. and the car is perfectly steady... can do 120 with one hand. (i dont.. but i could)
if a cop ever pulls me over.. i'm gonna show him my "Authorized Speed Racer" keychain.... and he'll just say.. "my apologies sir.. carry on!" lol

anyways. have fun with your Z... just dont forget regular maintence!

-Justin

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yep

Speeds over 100 or 120 are scary even with the aero kit. I do agree that your suspension and everything needs to be in top notch condition. I have hit 135 after speedo calibration and no wind blowing and it gets a bit hairy up there. But then again, if the road is absolutely clear with no on ramps/exits like the PA turnpike............. Thrill me my beloved Z. It is a rush to get up there and cruise like you were on rails. But here in Pa we now have deer out a lot and they can't read the signs on the interstates/turnpike. They just jump the fence and turn into 100 lb plus roadkill. I am afraid of hitting one because it would probably come through the windshield. Gotta mount my M-60 (joking) to clear the way..
Picture your Z in your mind. What you do will be a statement about you and will never be a poser. Just one bad A$$ Z.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Justin,
You might be running into a power problem at those high speeds. Maybe there just isnt enough juice left for you player to work properly. I know that when I have run my battery low and cant start the car the stereo will still turn on but no sound will come out. Or it could be the player.
I have a very stiff ride in my car (eibach springs, tokico shocks and sway bars) and that is on the softest setting on my shocks. At even low speeds it is considered by most of my friends to be too stiff and at high speeds you can actually get an upset stomach if you are strapped into the 5 point harness really tight. Why am I telling you this? Because my stereo has never skipped. Recently I was blasting across a dried lake bed at 90 mph when I came across a rutted track running perpendicular to my path. The each tire track was at leastThere was no way I was going to make it without damaging my car so I jammed on the brakes, slide sideways to try to dump some speed (the lake bed is hard as concrete but the top 1/8th of an inch is kind of crakly and covered with dust and can suck up a lot of speed) and then straightened out to hit it head on. I think I hit it at about 60mph and man did it make a boom. Once I got to where I was going my passanger and I got out to assess the damage. I had caught the bottom of my front valance. It is fiberglass and continues to take a much worse beating than I would think it could. The entire front aero peice was force back at the bottom which in turn buckled out both front fenders right above the center of the wheels. In addition my back hatch would not open for a day or two because I must have tweeked the frame a little bit. My buddy looked over at me while we were laughing (not at the fact that I had once again trashed part of my Z but at the whole experience) and said, "hey, your cd player never skipped!" That was 3 months ago. Since then I have pulled the changer out of the car to clean it. This is the first time I have done this in 4 years of going to the desert regularly. (my desert has very fine dust that gets everywhere) When I opening it up and turned it on its side about half a handful of playa dust came pouring out. It took me several hours with Q-tips to get it completely clean. I felt kind of bad cleaning it in that maybe I would jynx it into not working but I also wanted to try to treat it right because it had been so good to me for so many years.

I am using a Pioneer head unit with a 12 CD changer. I wish I could remember the model number...if you want to know I can check and get back to you. My car is constantly vibrating and banging against the smallest bumps and my CD player never skips.

Houston

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Yep

Have you seen those $5 deer guards?

They are little plastic joberdoes that stick to your bumper (one on the left one on the right). One emits an audible whistle and one emits a subsonic whistle. The theory is that deer have such good hearing that when a car is coming they can not distinguish where it is coming from. They hear it's sound bouncing off all the trees and rocks and what have you and they panic...and quite often cross the road. Other times they are just making a run for it. With these devised they can hone in on your car and dont seem to get scared. I am not sure if they have been scientifically proven but I have three friends who are claims adjusters and they have never seen a vehicle that was totalled by a deer with these deer guards on them. Of course that has a lot to do with the fact that not too many know about them but I do come from deer country and more people have them than you would think. In addition quite often I will drive by a group of deer standing right at the edge of the road. They just watch me drive by but never jump. They can hear where I am coming from and so they don't panic. maybe they work, maybe they don't but for $5 I am willing to give it a try especially since I drive in excess of 120mph on a regular basis and a deer in the road = a deer through my windsheild...and with 5 point harnesses that = a deer in my face and certain death.

These things work for most animals. I have seen cats, dogs and horses stand no more than 3 feet from the side of the road and not even flinch as I drove by at very high rates of speed. Of course cows hear me too...but they are so stupid that they just stop where they are (even if it is in the middle of the road and I am barrelling down on them) and watch me. At least the other animals get out of harms way.

Oh, and you can get pretty creative where you put them. There are rules about what angle they sit at but I have mounted them in places where they didnt look so conspicious so it didnt change the look of my car. The are a little smaller than a big lighter.
just thought I would let you all know.

Houston

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Yep

I was almost killed when a deer hit ME... doing 55mph in my lil '83 ford ranger on the way to school i asked my lil bro.. straight or left? he said straight, and going on, we saw a deer.. only had time to mash the gas but it wasn't good enough, and it plowed into my bed (another 2 ft and it woulda missed us). the suspension was bad, so when it shoved my bed off the side of the road, i couldn't adjust, and rolled the SOB. pieces of my engine were laying in the road, but i noticed as i crawled out my back window (we were laying on the passenger side) that the back window was laying there on the yellow line, not a friggin' chip or scratch anywhere... i on the otherhand, walked around in a turban for the next three days >:p
a few months latah, a girl at my school was killed when an oncomin car hit a deer and threw it through her windshield. deer suck

just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.