Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Z-heads,

I've got to give you a short history of my Z to preface this question : 1984 Turbo 5spd Coupe, bought it in April, 195K miles, don't know anything about service history or previous owners. What I was told is that the exhaust and intake are only a few months old (read : January/February), and the turbo was rebuilt around the same time that they were put in.

I've got her in the shop right now, and I'm in the process of putting in a new clutch and release bearing, as well as re-vamping the brakes (I get no hydraulic pressure to speak of and I can't seem to get them to bleed, even though the filler cap is full).

So my question is:

What general maintenance should I be performing on the car since I am going to have my transmission out and be working under it for a couple of days? I know there's some stuff on here that badly needs replacing, and I'd like to know from your experience what tends to die fastest on the Z31's. My guesses would be stuff like water pump and timing belt, but I imagine those are a pain to replace.

CLIFFNOTES:
1.My car is in the shop
2.It's old and high miles and I know nothing about it
3.What do I need to replace and/or align to be safe?
4.End cliff notes

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Just the typical things you'd replace when buying a used car. Belts, hoses, filters, every seal you can get to (especially the ones accessible right now with the tranny out) etc. And yep the t-belt is crucial and that'll gain you access to three more seals and the CHTS. I think there's a "common problems" section at z31.com and there are several personal sites that will give you an idea of common maintenance issues. Start with this one and then this one ...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips, i'll definately look into that rear oil seal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.