ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High idle (about 1500-2000rpm) 1980 280zx

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  zxtoy 
#1 ·
I have a 1980 280zx (non turbo) that has been idling high ever since i bought it, i checked for vacuum leaks and the timing is fine. The other mechanical problems with it now is that the alternator that i just bought is not charging properly and that my temprature reads low on my gauge but it might just be the gauge.
Can any one help?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
heroe said:
Try an inexpensive thermostat, Check that the fusible links are not fried, clean the battery cable connections, test battery. As for the idle, I seen people turn it up to get a better start when selling it. It could be a lot of things. Try turning the idle screw by the throttle body clockwise till you get 700 rpm on a warm engine. Then test starting it cold and hot.
I got a new fusible link but it might be to thin could that be it? and all the idle screws are turned in and I bought new terminals. Thanks for the reply.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
zxtoy said:
Before you mess with anything related to the idle, just turn the idle screw down until it is at the right rpm and see how it runs. Unless you know what you are doing you can screw up other things by adjusting the wrong things. Keep it simple to start and eliminate the possiblity that the PO liked having a high idle.
Do you have a FSM? If not do a search here for a free download link. Get it and READ it like it is your favorite comic book.( Get the fuel injection bible too at the same link) When you are done read it again, then work on your car.
Without the knowledge this is a recipe for another car that will never run right and a year from now you will be several thousand dollars poorer from throwing parts at a problems instead of knowing what and how to fix the car properly.
Thanks for the info but i have already tried what you have stated and am working my way up to the more expensive parts that might be the problem. And the reason i have a new alternator is because it did not charge properly. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.