ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High idle (about 1500-2000rpm) 1980 280zx

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  zxtoy 
Before you mess with anything related to the idle, just turn the idle screw down until it is at the right rpm and see how it runs. Unless you know what you are doing you can screw up other things by adjusting the wrong things. Keep it simple to start and eliminate the possiblity that the PO liked having a high idle.
Do you have a FSM? If not do a search here for a free download link. Get it and READ it like it is your favorite comic book.( Get the fuel injection bible too at the same link) When you are done read it again, then work on your car.
Without the knowledge this is a recipe for another car that will never run right and a year from now you will be several thousand dollars poorer from throwing parts at a problems instead of knowing what and how to fix the car properly.

What happened when you turned the idle screw down? The point of my suggestion was that if the engine died when the idle was adjusted to the proper rpm than the PO adjusted it up to keep it running, why? What condition caused this. Is there a vacuum leak that makes it have to be adjusted that high? The first thing is to find out if it is adjusted up and why or if like Jeff says if the idle comes down when you pull up on the pedal. Finding out why a condition exists is the first step to fixing it. I wasn't trying to throw useless info at you. The approach you need to take to a new to you car that the PO may have screwed up is to find out why and then fix it right. Many PO's "rig" things up to get by or unload a car. If you want it to be dependable you want it fixed right. Often fiquring out a PO's method of "repair" and/or mindset will help solve other issues faster and easier for you. When I got my 80 ZX the PO had done some strange repair work that I had to undo to fix right. I'm passing my personal experience onto you in hopes that you won't have to find out some of the surprises the PO left for you the hard way like I did. Good Luck with it. I hope you get it running great and can enjoy many many happy miles with your ZX. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.