ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a coat of hi-temp paint on my exhaust manifold, expecting to have an oven to cure it in today. It says it should be cured within 8 hours, by putting it in a non-household oven for an hour at 650 degrees, but not what happens if I wait too long. The oven didn't work out, and now I have a coat of paint I'd rather not have to sandblast off and redo. Is it really necessary to do it within 8 hours, and what kind of fumes are produced that are so harmful you can't do it in a regular oven? Any knowledge/suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
5,829 Posts
Dont worrt to much about it, I did not cure my parts like it was recommended and it worked out for me. Just make sure you use the 1800 degree temp paint. I have had very bad rsults with the 1200 degree paint on headers, my turbo exhaust housing and almost everything I have tried using white paint on. The black paint stayed on the parts, but it turned grey and did not stay black.

· Registered
123 Posts
I'm doing the same thing right now. I went to a body shop supply place and they said definetely use the 1500 degree stuff. They also said it had to cure but it would cure from the heat of the exhaust and that it could sit for a year and then be cured. I'd be kinda sketchy about putting 900 degree paint on. I wasn't thinking and I put some 300 degree primer on my manifold that I am trying to sand off.

· Registered
255 Posts
You might want to try this stuff from the makers of por15. I haven't used it but I have used the por15 paint and that stuff works pretty good. The stuff is called por20 heat resistant paint. Withstands heat up to 1400 degrees. You can brush it on or spray it. Check out there web site at http://www.por15.com or you can call them at 1-800-457-6715. These people at the # are located in Sacramento Ca. You may have a distributor that is closer to you. That 900 degree stuff is just not going to work. I've made that mistake myself in the past with exhaust headers.
Good luck,

· Registered
685 Posts
for all of you that havent used the por 15 the product line , it is really great . If you ever need to polish a valve cover or a SU carb you will not believe how fast and how good the Por 15 Artisan metal polish works . the stuff will amaizzzzzzz e ya on aluminum wheels . I dont have any ties to the Co. but just want to pass on a good thing. There is a dist. in Eugene , Or 541 345- 8092 I polished my valve cover to look like chrome , by hand in 30 min. !!! try it you will like it Gary Portland Ore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.