ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a few weeks back I had some guys over at Midas help me replace the front right ball joint. After driving around, I noticed that something was definitely loose, and anytime you turned the wheel a significant distance (say parking, u-turns, etc) in either direction, you would feel something and here a "clunk".

I took the car back to Midas, said that I think they need to check it out again, something is loose. They blew off my car all day long, i took it in at 10AM and they still hadn't looked at it by 4:00. At 4:30 they called me and said nothing was wrong with it. They told me they "drove the car and weren't able to experience the problem" and also that they "put the car on the rack and inspected it, and everything is fine."

Today, the problem has gotten so bad I'm afraid to drive my car anymore. Now the "clunk" noise and the feeling of something loose is getting so bad it happens during minor turns, and the car is very difficult to drive in a straight line. The problem appears to only affect the front right wheel. If I am driving over bumps that hit only the left side of the car its fine, but if the right side of the car hits a bump the car will pull very hard to the right. Also, now if I stop hard the steering wheel and the car will pull to the right. If I hold the wheel perfectly still while braking hard, the car will still pull to the right even though the steering wheel hasn't moved.

I just don't know how to approach these guys about fixing it now. I know that they have already blown me off once, and I'm worried that if I do take it in and demand that they fix it right, they'll just do a shitty job again because this time they aren't going to get paid for it. How would you guys handle this situation?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Re: Hey remember my front suspension problems? I REALLY need hel

I would take it back. DEMAND someone that works there get in the car with me and go for a ride. show them the problem. say now do you see it? I dont think they would argue after that. but if they did I would say if the part you guys replaced fails on me Ill have my lawyer calling you.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Listen to sportdriverGT it sounds like he has got the right idea.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

midas sucks, take it to a frame and alignment shop. they'll tell you what the problem is in 5 min. midas , jiffy lube, test&tune , just brakes , sears. to name just a few are chains that hire $8 hr. help. what would you expect?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

I agree with sportdriverGT, DEMAND service if they caused this problem. If you don't get a response from the employees hang around and speak to their superior. One thing I have learned is the best way to move someone is to go over their head to their superior. Just asking to speak to their superior is usually enough to get the ball rolling.

If they caused this problem they are required to either fix the problem themselves or cover the cost of replacement at an alignment shop.

If you're sure they caused the problem don't let another chain store get away with shotty service.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Yeah, I definately agree...I would take it in there and definately demand that they check it out again. What is there to lose? It's better for you to piss off a few people than spend X amount of dollars repairing a wrecked car :eek:/

·
Registered
548 Posts

It's your ass in the car. Take it back before you test your driving skills in a hard turn you didn't plan on. Let the manager know that unless they fix it you'll be bad mouthing him by name and the shop to everyone you meet.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts

Incompetants can't fix it. Take it to someone who can. Dispute the charge & get your money back if you paid with a credit card. If you go that route, be sure to document what's wrong (pics, service order etc). Write it off if you can't get your $$ back. Tell everyone you meet how bad their work is. Give them a realllly bad name. Speak the truth so you aren't slandering.

·
Registered
548 Posts

I'd still give the manager the benefit of the doubt and give him one last chance to remedy the situation. He may not know what his gear head employees are doing. Take him/her for a drive.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

alright, well thanks for all the info you guys. I gave them a call today, the manager that worked there two weeks ago is no longer there anymore. the new manager told me to come by in the morning and take the technician who performed the work for a drive. Hopefully this means they plan on fixing it.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

keep us updated.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well took my car back to midas today at 7 AM. The tech who originally worked on it wasn't there, but I took one of the other techs for a short ride. We went down a couple of surface streets and then through a parking lot, but we really weren't moving fast enough to really feel the impact of the problems. They did keep the car all day with intentions of checking it out, fixing anything that wasn't right, and then making sure the alignment was in check.

Unfortunately, they were experiencing some difficulties with their main compressor, so they couldn't get the car off the ground to inspect the suspension. They still have the car right now, and I don't think they were actually able to inspect it at all today.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get some good news.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.