ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our workhorse right now is sohc 12 valve 2.8 liter single turbo(180bhp) the skyline is dohc 24 valve CROSSFLOW HEAD twin turbo 2.6 liter.now here is the fun part everyone thinks that the skyline engine has a base hp of 280.well in japan if a car is listed as having hp more than 280 it will recieve a sports car tax because it creates a good amount of hp. the skyline acually makes somewhere between 305 to 330hp.that would make an '83 280zx a mid 12 second car and the motor is completely stock.i ve seen this motor make 450 to700hp inDAILY DRIVEN cars and up to 1100hp in race cars so the posibilities are endless!! they should re-release the 280zx turbo with the rb26dett engine. i don't have much money but your smokin' crack if you didn't buy one! billy mattull(tampa,fl)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> our workhorse right now is sohc 12 valve 2.8
> liter single turbo(180bhp) the skyline is
> dohc 24 valve CROSSFLOW HEAD twin turbo 2.6
> liter.now here is the fun part everyone
> thinks that the skyline engine has a base hp
> of 280.well in japan if a car is listed as
> having hp more than 280 it will recieve a
> sports car tax because it
> creates a good amount of hp. the skyline
> acually makes somewhere between 305 to
> 330hp.that would make an '83 280zx a mid 12
> second car and the motor is completely
> stock.i ve seen this motor make 450 to700hp
> inDAILY DRIVEN cars and up to 1100hp in race
> cars so the posibilities are endless!! they
> should re-release the 280zx turbo with the
> rb26dett engine. i don't have much money but
> your smokin' crack if you didn't buy one!
> billy mattull(tampa,fl)

I guess that's not available as a crate motor from Nissan over here, eh? :^(

Are there any published schematics for the motor and power train, anywhere? Maybe on the Web, or reprinted in a book or something? I'd like to get a close look at how Nissan did some of those things. Is this an INLINE 6, or is it a Vee?

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Not available from nismo, but there are 3 companies that are importing the engine for resale... they all claim to be low mileage japanese used engines. Problem with japanese cars is that they only last for a few years, too much stop-n-go & extremely short duration driving... that tends to do neat things to an engine (not ran at temp too often).

Quotes I've got ranged from $7900 to $10,500 for the engine, some were with shipping, some without. One common denominator: none included the ECU, harness, tranny, etc... and you just cant bolt up US spec z parts. One of the turbo mags had someone who dropped $50K into this conversion...wow.

Imagine trying to get parts to fix that beast!

Would be nice to have one, but I concluded that as far as bang for the buck goes, I could get equivalent performance from a highly modified single turbo L6 and still have engough money left to pay my mortgage for about 3 years.

> I guess that's not available as a crate
> motor from Nissan over here, eh? :^(

> Are there any published schematics for the
> motor and power train, anywhere? Maybe on
> the Web, or reprinted in a book or
> something? I'd like to get a close look at
> how Nissan did some of those things. Is this
> an INLINE 6, or is it a Vee?

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Not available from nismo, but there are 3
> companies that are importing the engine for
> resale... they all claim to be low
> mileage japanese used engines. Problem
> with japanese cars is that they only last
> for a few years, too much stop-n-go &
> extremely short duration driving... that
> tends to do neat things to an engine (not
> ran at temp too often).

Are you sure about this? I thought they just had smog laws(penalties or extra tax or something) against cars older than 3 years, so most of them just buy new cars every 3 years or less. At least, that's what I thought.

> Quotes I've got ranged from $7900 to $10,500
> for the engine, some were with shipping,
> some without. One common denominator: none
> included the ECU, harness, tranny, etc...
> and you just cant bolt up US spec z parts.
> One of the turbo mags had someone who
> dropped $50K into this conversion...wow.

Why not just get an RB20(one from an R32 skyline has 40hp more than an R31), Aus$1500(US$1000) for an RB20 DOHC EFI TURBO(215hp) with 5spd trans sounds pretty good to me, and that's in stock form. Of course we've got an easier time getting Jap. engines, but it'd definately be WELL under the $7900 you quoted, Of course, not QUITE as impressive, but a lot cheaper considering you'd settle for a turbo L6.

> Would be nice to have one, but I concluded
> that as far as bang for the buck goes, I
> could get equivalent performance from a
> highly modified single turbo L6 and still
> have engough money left to pay my mortgage
> for about 3 years.

I've heard the RB series are basically bulletproof, you could put much more boost through them than an L6.

Project#2501

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.