ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '81 280zx turbo. it's an automatic, kinda sucks, but when i am at a stand still and press on the gas it sputters a little, like two to three times and then goes fine, most of the sputter is around 1000 rpms. i unhooked all the injectors one by one while the car was running and no single one made the car run any different. also thre is a miss in the engine while it's running. it doesn't do this all the time just a lot of the time. does anybody know what this could be? thank you for any info. bama16

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Sounds like a vaccuum leak. When the engine is warm and idling, take the oil filler cap off. If the engine stumbles and/or dies, the vacuum system is okay. If nothing changes with the cap off, there's a leak in either a vacuum hose or vacuum component.
Could also be timing or a lot of other things. Clean up all the electrical connections under the hood and see if it helps.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have removed the cap before and the engine stumbles hard. i will look into the other things in the morning. thank you bama16

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey there bud. Well i have an 82 Turbo, so i know your feeling.

Mine did the same thing with the sputtering and such and i THINK i have found my solution ( im gonna find out this weekend when i go to fix it =) ) Connected to your turbo is a little rubber cuplink...this cuplik connects into what I call the "J-pipe"...the J-pipe is a long black pipe that goes into your intake manifold ( on the drivers side...can't miss it, its shaped like a J ) now look really close at this rubber cuplink ( at the oposite end of the J-pipe the end into the turbo ) and make sure the 2 clamps holding it on are nice and tight, also ( my problem ) make sure there are no leaks in it!!! mine has a split all the way down it.

Second think is check your intake manifold gasket, mine is burnt all the way through in some spots so its interesting trying to floor it.

And on a personal note....dont think your car sucks cause its an AUTOMATIC TURBO!! automatic turbos are faster than manuals!! this is proven because when a manual transmission has to put in the clutch to switch gears...it looses its boost pressure!! hence slows down, when the automatic is still running strong....so love your automatic!!

"Loving your car is the first step to driving it"

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.