ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally *think* I solved my lean running/missing/stumbling no smog passing problem. I replaced the AFM with one from the junkyard (kind of a gamble) but I took a meter with me. It was closer to spec than mine. I put it in and adjusted the TPS back to where its supposed to be and low and behold the **** thing works great! Accelerates smoothly, no missing, and hopefully will pass smog. Two new problems however...not sure if they are related.

1. I seem to have lost my fast idle. Idle speed is the same cold/warm. Not sure if I bumped something, but I don't believe the AFM has anything to do with the fast idle circuit. How many RPM does the fast idle normally increase before the air reg. closes?

2. If I let off the gas at a high RPM, say at a light, the RPM drops all the way down to around 500 rpm then bounces back up to around 900. Is this normal? Not a big deal, but with a different AFM I have no idea if this is right.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
your problem does not sound serious. my ideas; maybe you simply need to adjust the idle speed, the air reg wil take it uyp to around 1200 - 1500. maybe the air regulator is gone. it is easy to check it out.

I had pa roblem with mine where it would run rough for a few minutes right after i started it or when starting warm. i recently replaced all ofp the injector plugfs and this seems to have solved that problem. consider doing that. thatis in the category of tune-up related stuff. could be anything, really.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may check the throttle control valve, it seems years ago I had the same prob on a '78 Z. I'm surprised the AFM was bad, those (with my experience) are almost bulletproof, sometimes the leads get dirty tho...moisture is a real killer on the whole **** system. I had a drop of moisture in the throttle control valve a the car ran like crap. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
check the air regulator plug

it acts as a choke when you are warming up. you may have disconnected
the wires to it when you were putting in the new afm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.