ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a '92 Oldsmobile Achieva that his mother gave him. It is a four cyl. 16valve auto. Mine is a 5spd ZXT. He swears he can beat me. Does he have a chance at all? I don't think so, but wanted others opinions. He wants to bet $100 this Sunday. He also wants to go 2mi. I don't know why. I told him 1/4 or 1/2 mi. Maybe it is more aerodynamic and has a better top speed. I think they have about 150hp and 185torque. About the same weight. Is it better to have a 1/4 full tank off gas or full tank? The full tank would give me better traction of the line I am assuming.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You WILL WIN!!!!!

The Achieva has NO chance. They are quick cars but not enough to catch a Turbo, most any turbo. He might get in front of you at about 1/8th mile. But when your turbo starts to spool up, he is TOAST. He WILL lose power at about 80mph, Your Turbo will pull you up and FAR out ahead of his car. I don't know what your top-end speed is, But you WILL reach it in 2 miles. I don't know if he will. Have confidence in your Z a four banger will have a VERY hard time catching a 6/turbo any day. Oh as for gas, get a full tank of hi-octane fuel and run it down to a 1/4 tank. Big thing to remember, Race Safe, don't risk you or your car. Don't panic of the line, let the tires connect (not spin.. very bad) and let the turbo do the rest. You won't need to push the rev's either. Remember, you have to cross the finish line to win, so don't blow the motor on a missed shift. I love to race, just don't do it on a populated road. Oh well that is my advise, it may not the best advise, but I am only one man with a wrench.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: You WILL WIN!!!!!

> The Achieva has NO chance. They are quick
> cars but not enough to catch a Turbo, most
> any turbo. He might get in front of you at
> about 1/8th mile. But when your turbo starts
> to spool up, he is TOAST. He WILL lose power
> at about 80mph, Your Turbo will pull you up
> and FAR out ahead of his car. I don't know
> what your top-end speed is, But you WILL
> reach it in 2 miles. I don't know if he
> will. Have confidence in your Z a four
> banger will have a VERY hard time catching a
> 6/turbo any day. Oh as for gas, get a full
> tank of hi-octane fuel and run it down to a
> 1/4 tank. Big thing to remember, Race Safe,
> don't risk you or your car. Don't panic of
> the line, let the tires connect (not spin..
> very bad) and let the turbo do the rest. You
> won't need to push the rev's either.
> Remember, you have to cross the finish line
> to win, so don't blow the motor on a missed
> shift. I love to race, just don't do it on a
> populated road. Oh well that is my advise,
> it may not the best advise, but I am only
> one man with a wrench.

I know a perfect spot to race buy my work out in the boonies. He is serious too, this Sunday. Easy $100. : ) My car runs strong so I shouldn't have to push it too hard. I did 0-60 in 7.x sec with a bad start, tires spinning. It should be fun. Another question. Do most drag strips let you run stock cars for a certain fee or something, or do you need special equipment like roll bars?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: You WILL WIN!!!!!

In Houston you can go to Raceway Park and run quarters on grudge night. You have to sign a disclaimer and have a helmet. Your times are given on a timeslip. You do pay a fee, but it is cheap. No other equipment is required until you go a certain speed and then they won't let you race again until you put a transmission strap on your tranny. I think that is about it though. Let me know how you do this Sunday. :) Take that $100 and go get some Yokohama A509's for your car and get off those bad tires!! :p

John Cooney

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy Money!!! I think even a NON-Turbo could do it

> I have a friend with a '92 Oldsmobile
> Achieva that his mother gave him. It is a
> four cyl. 16valve auto. Mine is a 5spd ZXT.
> He swears he can beat me. Does he have a
> chance at all? I don't think so, but wanted
> others opinions. He wants to bet $100 this
> Sunday. He also wants to go 2mi. I don't
> know why. I told him 1/4 or 1/2 mi. Maybe it
> is more aerodynamic and has a better top
> speed. I think they have about 150hp and
> 185torque. About the same weight. Is it
> better to have a 1/4 full tank off gas or
> full tank? The full tank would give me
> better traction of the line I am assuming.

OK, I now little to nothing about Olds, but from what I have read I see NO WAY AT ALL that he can beat you! in my 79zx (NON TURBO) I still have lots of horse power atvailable at 150km.h (100mph) You have a turbo, so yours is going to be WAY better than mine! I had mine cruising at 130 KMH and a guy in a GMC Sierra figured he could pass me, he was prob going around 150KMH, so when I saw him near my rear bumper, I punched it and I was up to 180KMH in a matter of 5 -10 seconds, and he started to dissapear in the background... your car can do better... I say go for it. :) Easy Money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.