ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is what I a thinking to do to my 77 Z

917 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  palladin 
#1 ·
Here is what I a thinking to do to my 77 Z. What do you guys think?
Performance Camshaft, Stage III, 70-83 Z/ZX Non Turbo
Grind: 17034. Lift(In/Ex): .460/.460. Duration(In/Ex): 270/280
flat top pistons ROSS Forged Piston Kit for L-28 Engines
6-1 header 2-1/2" exhaust flowmaster 40 series muffler.

Any thing else I might want to do?

#2 ·
77 said:
Performance Camshaft, Stage III, 70-83 Z/ZX Non Turbo
Grind: 17034. Lift(In/Ex): .460/.460. Duration(In/Ex): 270/280
If you want more in the 2000-3000rpm range, this won't do it. But it is mild enough that you might not notice much one way or the other (i.e., not a whole lot more top end, but not a big negative impact at lower rpm).

flat top pistons ROSS Forged Piston Kit for L-28 Engines
Or you could just go with Nissan flat-tops. If you're not going boost (or much higher CR), forged pistons aren't necessary.
6-1 header 2-1/2" exhaust flowmaster 40 series muffler.
For the cam you're considering, you might just stick with the exhaust manifold you have.

Any thing else I might want to do?
Dyno before and after.
[/quote]

#3 ·
Re: Stock ECU and the Stage III is a tough pair

I would port your head and intake if you wish to take advantage of that cam...cause the more you reduce intake restrictions...the more it works for you, cause that cam really thrives with less restrictions on the intake side...but you would need to match that additional air with fuel and the stock ECU can't do that, I would convert to megasquirt. It has an overlap so raising compression (flattops) is needed for optimal performance. It's a good cam...but will require several additional parts to pull like it's designed to.

#5 ·
Cooprdog said:
I would port your head and intake if you wish to take advantage of that cam...cause the more you reduce intake restrictions...the more it works for you, cause that cam really thrives with less restrictions on the intake side...but you would need to match that additional air with fuel and the stock ECU can't do that, I would convert to megasquirt. It has an overlap so raising compression (flattops) is needed for optimal performance. It's a good cam...but will require several additional parts to pull like it's designed to.
What else would i need to get pull like it's designed?

#7 ·
Dude, if you're interested in 2000-3000rpm performance, porting and camming and lower-restriction exhaust isn't going to do that. The stock engine already breathes very well in that range. A hotter cam will improve breathing higher in the rev range, but this usually comes at the expense of lower-rpm volumetric efficiency.

If you want to improve low and high-end, you could simply install stock Nissan flat-top pistons for NA F54 L28s which were in 1980 (or was it 1981?) - 1983 non-turbo ZXs. This will bump compression to 9.8:1. You will have to use 91-93 octane fuel.

You keep on not wanting to hear it, but IMO, for your usage, there's no point in camming or porting.

#8 ·
Dan is correct... the path that you are going on is not going to increase your 2K-3K performance. I had confused this with another thread so forgive me if I've mislead you.

install the stage II cam, recalibrate your AFM as per Blue's tech tips, rebuild your mechanical fuel injection and clean all your electrical connectors...you'll probably see an increase in responsiveness. If you're going to tear down your motor to install flattops, you might as well build a hot motor from there. The labor charges/time involved you incur are best spent as part of a larger project.

The stage III cam is the beginning of serious modifications and I wouldn't do it piecemeal.

#9 ·
I think you should get rid of that engineered engine and replace with one out of a 70 model GM so you can spend every waking moment screwing with it to get it to run right. Only then will you be happy and have a warm feeling that YOU accomplished what the GM engineers were not able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.