ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a friends house today, and he owns a z salvage yard. I got all sort so fhting cheap because he is going out of business and moving. Anyways, got steering pump for $10, head light buckets for $5, KYB used but near new shocks, performance springs, whole rear assembly for $10 each. So, I put aside a R200 3.90 rear end from a 77 280. One question is that I thought was not a 3.90, rather a 3.545. How can I tell what it is, what is the number of revs of the driveshaft to the axle? Also, what axles do I need? I found two 77 ones. What driveshaft do I need also. Oh, I have a 72 240 this is going into. Finally, what other parts do i need, I got the mustache bar for it. Thanks for any help. I am supposed to get this stuff tomorrow morning.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Don't be greedy

It is called DNAutosports in Albuquerque NM. HE does not have a whole lot left, but still a number of body and little parts. No more engines though, bummer. The number is 888-576-4562 or 505 848-8424. Now how do I tell what the ration is?

·
Registered
625 Posts
> I was at a friends house today, and he owns
> a z salvage yard. I got all sort so fhting
> cheap because he is going out of business
> and moving. Anyways, got steering pump for
> $10, head light buckets for $5, KYB used but
> near new shocks, performance springs, whole
> rear assembly for $10 each. So, I put aside
> a R200 3.90 rear end from a 77 280. One
> question is that I thought was not a 3.90,
> rather a 3.545. How can I tell what it is,
> what is the number of revs of the driveshaft
> to the axle? Also, what axles do I need? I
> found two 77 ones. What driveshaft do I need
> also. Oh, I have a 72 240 this is going
> into. Finally, what other parts do i need, I
> got the mustache bar for it. Thanks for any
> help. I am supposed to get this stuff
> tomorrow morning.
> Joshua L.

The rear end should be a 3.54, the 3.9 came in 81-83zx with 5 speed.When I changed to r200 in my 71 with 5 speed I used a 72 moustache bar but,I had to cut my driveshaft down about an inch .However when I ran the R200 in my 72 with a 4 speed tranny I did'nt have to cut the driveshaft.I do remember having to elongate bolt holes in the diff mount to make it bolt up to car.I can't remember if the metal was too hard to drill or if I just didnt have right size drill bit.I used a small grinder to widen bolt holes.3.9 swaps are definately worth the time and effort, it makes you feel like you have another 30 hp Good luck .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did get the larger hole mustache bar, but what drive shatf, the stock 240 or a 280Z. Also, how exactly can I tell what it is, what is the ratio count on the shafts. Thanks for the otehr info. Oh, do i need the front cross member and mount from the 280 also?
Joshua L.

·
Registered
625 Posts
> I did get the larger hole mustache bar, but
> what drive shatf, the stock 240 or a 280Z.
> Also, how exactly can I tell what it is,
> what is the ratio count on the shafts.
> Thanks for the otehr info. Oh, do i need the
> front cross member and mount from the 280
> also?
> Joshua L.
>Joshua, I was talkng about bolt holes on small rubber mount. The easiest way is to remove back cover and then count the # of teeth.If you have good eye and a flashlight you can remove drain and refill bolts and if I remember right see teeth and then count em up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re:DRIVESHAFT HELP!!!

I would use 240 driveshaft even if you have to cut it down.280 zs had nonreplaceable U-joints!!! You should keep 240 shaft but upgradeto SPICER u-joints this is the same brand NASCAR uses.Stone Heavy Equipment in Hickory n.c. cut and balanced my shaft for only $40.00.You should have someplac near where you livethat should do about the same. Make sure to change u-joints before taking shaft to be cut and balanced. Good luck,norm

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the ratio

So, is the ratio of teeth going to be 3.90:1 also? I am just unsure on what the spider does to the ratio. There is a site that shows all of this stuff, the different marks on the ring, etc, but I can not find that site, I have too many bookmarks on z's. Thanks for the help. Good point about the 240 driveshaft.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: RATIO HELP

> So, is the ratio of teeth going to be 3.90:1
> also? I am just unsure on what the spider
> does to the ratio. There is a site that
> shows all of this stuff, the different marks
> on the ring, etc, but I can not find that
> site, I have too many bookmarks on z's.
> Thanks for the help. Good point about the
> 240 driveshaft.
Dont worry about spider teeth they dont matter .Count teeth on ring gear then count teeth on the pinion gear.If it is a 3.9 you should have 39 teeth on ring and 10 on pinion.Whatever the count ( if different)simply divide ring teeth by # of pinion teeth and you will get your ratio .Hope this helps,norm

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: RATIO HELP

> Dont worry about spider teeth they dont
> matter .Count teeth on ring gear then count
> teeth on the pinion gear.If it is a 3.9 you
> should have 39 teeth on ring and 10 on
> pinion.Whatever the count ( if
> different)simply divide ring teeth by # of
> pinion teeth and you will get your ratio
> .Hope this helps,norm
Let me know what the ratio turned out to be.Thanks,norm

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: What is the ratio

> So, is the ratio of teeth going to be 3.90:1
> also? I am just unsure on what the spider
> does to the ratio. There is a site that
> shows all of this stuff, the different marks
> on the ring, etc, but I can not find that
> site, I have too many bookmarks on z's.
> Thanks for the help. Good point about the
> 240 driveshaft.

hay send send me the site will ya Please

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.