ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!!! I am in desperate need of some help, I have a 78' and for the past two weeks, every once in a while my car will just shut off while driving. after I let it sit for a while it will start back up. this has left me stranded a few times on the freeway. It doesn't seem to be electrical as far as I now I have tested all your major electrical and it all works. could this be vapor lock and if so how do I remedy the situation? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: HELP!!!!!!!

I had a very similar problem with an 82zx n/a and it turned out to be the coil was not always puting out a hot enough spark and until it cooled off and started working correctly the car wouldn't start again after it died, usualy in the middle of an intersection of on the freeway. I would see spark when the car stopped so I would move on to what could be next and after about 6 weeks of stop and go problems, I changed the $20.00 coil and it ran great after that. MY .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

thank you for the info, I have checked spark after it dies but you know it can't hurt to try a new .

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

i am a big fan of blaming the ignition module.. try that also .. especially if its intermittent.. changes with weather or heat..

·
Registered
29 Posts

it is fairly common for the spark module to have problems too, the car will die after it heats up. to diagnose this, use a dwell meter. when the car dies, check for dwell. if it is zero, the module is dead, barring any broken connections between the coil, the module, and ground.

Casper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thank you, I will check that also and mabey just replace it aswell, never hurts to put new parts in.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I had spark after it died too so I discounted the coil as being good, it took 6 weeks of headaches before I sucked it up and spent the $20 for a new one on the off chance it was bad. Let me tell you I would spend $20 in a heartbeat if it would save me about 20 hours of looking and scratching my head again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I will change that out first then thank you, I can only hope that I can get so lucky that that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Try the coil thing... may be the problem, but maybe not. Before you start chasing the problem by buying parts, first buy a factory service manual for your car. www.ideal-z.com has them on cd-rom.
Other things to check are the water temp sensor (the connector may be loose, causing the car to stall), Loose connection to the ecu, afm, ect.
The FI Z's really dont have a vapor lock problem... following the test in the engine fuel and engine electrical section of the service manual will keep you from buying unneeded parts.

·
Registered
226 Posts

I agree with johnb510. get a fartory service manual... it will show you how to test everything to make sure it's working correctly. I also agree that you should check all of your temp sensors. there's one in the thermostat housing and one on the side of your head. there's actually another one in your air flow meter, but i don't think that's the one that's causeing you any trouble... you might want to replace those two sensors anyways as they are only a couple of bucks each. good luck.
madcowz

·
Registered
613 Posts

Yep i agree with johnb510 here, lots of great information from him. But get teh manual, i work at a parts store and man i seen tons of people just throwing parts at a car hoping to fix a problem. In fact i see that alot here too. Often people buy a distributor cap, wires, rotor and plugs. Next they try the message boards lol. It probably is the coil or whatever, but get the manual, saves time and money, as well as headaches, its sucks to be mad at a z.

Emir

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
My 78 used to do the samething before I bought the car according to previous owner. I changed the ignition module (4th one that I have replaced) and I haven't had the problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tazz
I had this happen to me and it turned out to be a stopped up return line inside the fuel tank. I took the tank off and totally cleaned it out (tough to get to those inside lines )but it hasn't done it since....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.