Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've got an 86 Zcar and there is a gasoline smell evident when I turn on the A/C. Can anybody help me track this down, please?

Also the air primarirly comes out of the defrost vents, to the exclusion of most others

·
Registered
107 Posts
Turn your AC on and light a match, i think it's pretty straight forward from there . JOKES!!
Maybe your core has a crack in it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Better start it up cold with a strong flashlight and get a look at your injectors...gas lines...sounds like a leak in the engine area.

Go thru and replace vac lines....?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There was a recall on the 300zx in 1995 on leaky fuel injectors. this will cause a gas smell. I would check to see if your car had them replaced. This could cause a fire. Here is some info on it

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 95I006000
Make: NISSAN
Model: 300ZX
Year: 1985
Causing Fault : FLOODS,LEAKS
Resulting Fault : FIRE, FLUID,ELECTRICAL,GAS(LPG),GASOLINE,OTHER
Component: FUEL:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
Manufacturer: NISSAN MOTORS CORPORATION
Year of Recall: 1995
Type of Report: Vehicle Improvement
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1
Summary:
1. NISSAN DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL INJECTORS AND RELATED HOSES OF THE AFFECTED VEHICLES.
SYSTEM: FUEL; FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES.DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM: THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERALREGULATION 573(see below). HOWEVER, IT IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BY THEAGENCY. THE CAMPAIGN WILL REPLACE THE FUEL INJECTORS AND RELATED HOSES OFAFFECTED VEHICLES WHICH COULD LEAK.CONSEQUENCE OF PROBLEM: FUEL LEAKS IN THE ENGINE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.NOTE: NISSAN HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT SERVICE CAMPAIGN TOREPLACE THE FUEL INJECTORS AND RELATED HOSES WITHOUT CHARGE. OWNERS CAN CONTACTNISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Part 573 - Defect and Noncompliance Reports (Effective 10-1-71)
This part specifies manufacturer requirements for reporting safety-related defects to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; for providing quarterly reports on defect notification campaigns; for providing copies of communications with dealers and purchasers concerning defects; and for maintaining owner lists.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
86 A/C

Thank you. Do they use the VIN number to tell if the recall service has already been done? 86 non-turbo

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
86 A/C

Thank you. I have just the flashlight. Some of the vacuum lines are "decroded." N.D. I will check ASAP all the fuel lines too.
As for the A/C portion what explains the defrost only malfunction? Vacuum operated A/C contols? Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you remove the dash you'll find a box like thing with abunch of vac lines comming off........ thats where you probably find your vac leak for the A/C unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.