ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My daughter in law has her father's 71 240z and wants to start driving it(learn to drive it) and I am not very versed on these cars or engines.
I believe the engine is not original.
It is a fuel injected turbo car, only markings I can find on the head say P90 ( which goes with it being turbo from my research) I am unable to find any markings on the block except "Nissan Japan".
It has a MSD 6 BTM ignition system, and a Haltech F9A "fuel management" computer.

I starts and runs with some effort and warming up, but just doesn't feel right to me and I don't want to hurt it.
My background is GM products so I know more than the basics of engines.

I pulled number 6 plug to try to get numbers for replacement and it was definitely fouled, it's an NGK GR5 plug but no other numbers other than maybe "MVYN" can't really read it..

I would like to find out which block and year it is, so I can take it from there making sure I am using the correct parts.. etc

Oh and she is getting married in Sept, and wants her and her husband to drive off into the sunset with it.. girls... lol

Any help would be appreciated as to where to find markings Or anything to help identify what she has...

Thanks in advance for any help offered!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
How long has it been sitting, have you changed the fluids and filters? The haltec ecu has a decent forum you could peruse to see if you can check fuel tables yourself. I don’t run haltec but have seen people have them remote programmed over the internet by the manufacture. Get all the basics sorted and then see if haltec will schedule a time to check your tune.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
All of the blocks from 70-83 will bolt up to any of the transmissions. Track down the 81-83 FSM for the engine and the 70 for the body and everything else.

These cars are simple compared to even OBD2 cars.

How old is your daughter in law? It's strange to hear that our kids and grandkids are interested in these cars.

Hopefully mine won't fight between the Z and 911 and all cars will be running by then.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The block number is located by the drivers side motor mount. Look just a little bit towards the back of the car and the number for a turbo block would be an F54. It's cast right into the block. The #'s will be a little hard to see but they're there. The other numbers to check engine displacement is on the right side of the block just below #5 cylinder. That should be L28. To answer one of your questions, the engine is not stock for a 240. One of the questions that I have is has the fuel tank been converted to an injection tank, and the next question is has the frame been reinforced. Both of those things need to be done if they haven't been. I can have the tank converted to injection by a company that I use so you won't get a fuel lean out under boost, and I make and sell a frame reinforcement kit. See the attached pics to see what they look like. The last pic shows the frame kit as it sits up in the car. I'm getting ready to start building more of them. They're made out of 1/8" plate steel, the kits with the bolt in cross members only weigh 42 lbs, and cost is 800.00 to zcar.com users. Z man of Washington

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts