ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying parts from a guy in Texas (I'm in WA.) and he doesn't want to do it COD, which seems the most logical to me. He wants me to send the money first then he will send the parts, which gets me a little nervous. I have bought parts like this before from Preston Pratt but I've seen his name around, his web sight, bla bla bla, and all worked out. I do need the parts and it's a good deal BUT.... I can just see getting a check in the mail made out to you and never sending the parts. He did give me his address, work and home phone, and full name, but you never know. Have any of you ever bought parts like this and been screwed before????
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You can setup something with UPS, I can't remember what it's called. It's sort of like a COD.
When the package arrives, UPS collects a money order for the package from you, and then forwards it back to the sender.
You pick it up at the UPS depot, and handover the check when you pickup the package. The only stipulation is that you can't open the package before paying.

I did this with a THX receiver a couple of years ago and it worked great because both parties felt protected.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
agree 2 postdate check until box arrives n/c

> I'm buying parts from a guy in Texas (I'm in
> WA.) and he doesn't want to do it COD, which
> seems the most logical to me. He wants me to
> send the money first then he will send the
> parts, which gets me a little nervous. I
> have bought parts like this before from
> Preston Pratt but I've seen his name around,
> his web sight, bla bla bla, and all worked
> out. I do need the parts and it's a good
> deal BUT.... I can just see getting a check
> in the mail made out to you and never
> sending the parts. He did give me his
> address, work and home phone, and full name,
> but you never know. Have any of you ever
> bought parts like this and been screwed
> before????
> Thanks
> Anthony

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Only a Certified Fool...

buys parts from a stranger by sending him a check or money order. In today's world, with Internet theft at an all-time high, the chance of getting what you ordered, or anything for that matter, is about 15%. A certain shady publisher even puts out a manual on how to do rip offs in cyberspace.

Sending a post-dated check isn't a wise idea either. If you do, then you've given your account number to a possible crook who may be a hacker as well, and that could be real trouble. There are boiler room operations which specialize in sophisticated electronic bunko. One of them bilked my auto insurance company for $10,000 on a fraudulent collision and absolutely nothing could be done about it according to the state attorney general. All the thieves needed was my policy number.

Dealing with established companies or businesses is the only way to go when it comes to long distance transactions. Better yet, be smart and go to a junk yard in your area that has an online parts locator. If you insist on sending money through the mail, your odds of getting satisfaction are a lot less than they are at a crap table in Atlantic City.

·
Registered
257 Posts
USE WWW.IESCROW.COM !!

I only cost 5% of the price and maybe you can negotiate with you other party to split that expense. I've used it and will be using it for all my online transactions. You can even pay by credit card and they send a check to the seller.
It is an excellent service

Carlos

> I'm buying parts from a guy in Texas (I'm in
> WA.) and he doesn't want to do it COD, which
> seems the most logical to me. He wants me to
> send the money first then he will send the
> parts, which gets me a little nervous. I
> have bought parts like this before from
> Preston Pratt but I've seen his name around,
> his web sight, bla bla bla, and all worked
> out. I do need the parts and it's a good
> deal BUT.... I can just see getting a check
> in the mail made out to you and never
> sending the parts. He did give me his
> address, work and home phone, and full name,
> but you never know. Have any of you ever
> bought parts like this and been screwed
> before????
> Thanks
> Anthony

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: USE WWW.IESCROW.COM !!

> I have bought parts 3 times over the internet once COD and recieved junk for $175, and twice with a money order with one good results and another junk piece. finally I realized even most junk dealers will rip you off such as my 175 door with rust holes everywhere. I finally found a parts car complete in good shape with rusted out frame for $100 bucks. Ah the lessons learned in life. Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: USE WWW.IESCROW.COM !!

It comes down to trust and unfortunately there are unscrupulous folks out there. One other suggestion is the maintenance of a GoodGuy/Bad Guy list as done by the DSM club. Its a sort of a poor man's BBB, informative for the forum in lauding the honest and exposing the dishonest. Check it out: <A HREF=http://www.gate.net>http://www.gate.net</A>/~turbobri/goodbad/.

Scottie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.