ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to shrink metal. I have been playing around with my welder patching a couple of old fenders. What is the proper technique for heating and quenching for shinking out warps and dents?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I can tell you how to shrink clothes...

Dryer, high heat. All colors washed and dried together. The life of a bachelor....

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Do a search for author "escanlon". Somewhere in the last 60 days he posted an excellent blow by blow (bad pun) on how to do this.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell me about it!

I had a really warm Cowichan indian wool toque. After I washed and dried it the only thing I could use it for was a sock for my 1 wood!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to give it up!

Every time I got out on a course all I could think about was how much fun ripping around in a beater Z would be on a golf course! Really screws your game up!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Early morning powerslides down the

fairway in a golf cart ain't so bad. The dew on the grass makes for lots of fun. I was wondering, though if you can get sued for hitting somebody with a golf ball. I had two times where my slice was so bad it nearly took off the heads of other golfers. Actually bounced off of their carts. I thought there was gonna be a Happy Gilmore-Bob Barker throwdown going on.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Tell me about it!

Thank You Wayne for the compliment, the post you are looking for is this one:

http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=232545&t=232413

I'll add this to that, if you have access to an Eastwood catalog, they have an excellent tool that will help you do a quick job of shrinking metal. This is a hammer that has a rotating cam head with a spiral cut on it. As you hit, the cam rotates while grabbing the metal.

I personally prefer the plain old shrinking hammer. This is one that looks like a meat tenderizer. This hammer in combination with a dolly is usually all you need to shrink most stretched out sheet metal. The prior post explains the basics, and it is tricky to explain WHERE on the panel to select where to shrink.
The best I can do to explain that is as follows:

Metal shrinking is present when you have a washboard effect on a panel. Washboarding is when you press on the panel, and you can feel and hear it go bonk and press in, when you release the panel it bonks again and pops out. The other obvious is when you have a panel and you can see the obvious BULGE of the metal above where you need it to be.

To know where to shrink, try to find the one spot that is REALLY sensitive to push / pop. This is the sweet spot for THAT stretched out area. First use your shrinking hammer, and see what you can do to tighten up the metal with that. Put your dolly behind the metal, use your shrinking hammer, and smack the metal using the dolly to absorb the impact and accept the rebound. VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT LET THE DOLLY REBOUND ONTO THE METAL. This will tighten up that specific spot.

Next, find the next sweet / soft spot. Usually as you tighten one area, you'll have another area become the sweet spot. Keep addressing the individual spots with the hammer / dolly combination.

You will finally get to a point where no amount of beating will reduce the metal any more. At this point you switch to the acetylene torch.

Heat the metal, again not red hot, just starting to glow, and wearing some thick gloves, and with a rag that's pretty well soaked and dripping with cool water, put your dolly behind the metal to support your pushing, push the wet rag onto the surface. The metal will cool very rapidly and shrink. Move to another spot and repeat. You'll do this pretty much all over the panel, and usually it's between the spots you treated earlier.

Pretty soon the panel will feel tight and no washboarding will be felt or present. Check your panel for straightness and level to the surrounding metal. Use your dolly and regular hammer now to remove any last dents, etc, and you should be ready for your skin coat of bondo or lead. If you don't want to use lead or bondo, then you just need to continue to straighten and shrink the metal until the panel is to the shape desired.

Most body men will just avoid this, since it is incredibly time intensive and expensive. It is best to get it so that you end up with the THINNEST possible coat of filler.

But that's another posting.

Sorry for the length, but I hope you got what you were looking for.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exellent! That's what I was looking for.

And the rest is probably technique which I am short on! Gonna go practice some.
Have a good Christmas Eh!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Are you saying my advice wasn't helpful?

LOL

Married guys.....living like kings.

Merry Christmas, eh, to you too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.