ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 zxt with approx 325hp. Besides doing massive burnouts when trying to launch, I get some massive wheel hop, I think I'm going to break something. Anyone with a high powered Z having this problem? How can I fix this? Already has a new diff mount in it.

Thanks in advance.

check out my a pic of this at the bottom of my page

www.geocities.com/nismotony

Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
I HAVE A 240 WITH OVER 200HP AND SPIN MY 225 TIRES FROM FIRST THRU THIRD AND JUST ABOUT INTO FOURTH. i HAVE A COMPLETLY SOLID MOUNTED DRIVE TRAIN AND NO MATTER WHAT RPM I LAUNCH AT; ALL I HAVE TO COMPLIAN ABOUT IS THE SMOKE. i WOULD LOOK AT SPRINGS AND SHOCKS, AND THEN MOVE ON TO THE UPPER STRUT MOUNTS, GO FOR THE STRUTS THEN THE SPRINGS, AS MY EXPERIENCE SUJESTS IT IS THE DAMPPWNING THAT ALLOWS WHEEL BOUNCE MORE THAT ANY OTHER ONE FACTOR.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Its a combination of struts and springs. What are you using now, I hope its not stock with that much power? And yes you will break something if you keep launching that hard. Z and ZX's were not made to launch hard this ability is designed into the suspension, our cars are designed to keep the weight centered and turn not transfer weight front to rear like a dragster. You've got to add stiffer rear springs and get struts that have a slower rebound than dampning. The springs will determine how much weight is placed on each tire - the more weight on the wheel the less likely it will be to hop up off the pavement, the struts control how fast or slow the movement happens. To really make it hook up, you'd want to install struts in the front with a fast rebound and slow dampning to let the front end lift then slowly settle back down - transferring more weight to the rear tires.

If you want your car to handle, then don't do this, I mean it won't be horrible and it will still handle better than alot of cars but not like its designed to. Hard launches don't matter in the twisties where its all about maintaining momentum.

good luck

Matt

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I solved it with KYB springs and tokico adjustables. Set the schocks to setting 5 and you should be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.