Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thnx in advance,
ok, i replaced timing belt (first timer) using article on z31 and factory manual. also replaced cam seals, water pump, etc.... i have also put on new ignition coil, dist and rotor, spark plugs and wires. everything went ok (i think) but my problem is that i have a severe stumble upon acceleration. it seems to idle ok however. my first thought was that it was missing. i have double checked plug wires and they seem to be on tight. i have tried to adjust ignition timing but i get a very unusual rhythym when using a timing light. i cant make out if the timing mark on crankshaft pulley is coinciding with timing light or not.
any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.
todd

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Use some white-out on the timing mark that you're setting it to, and mark up the spot on the block where you line it up to. That should make it easier to set.

Are you sure you installed the timing belt right? Did you line the belt marks up to the gears, or to the spots on the back of the timing belt cover?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i lined up marks on gears with back cover before taking off old belt and aligned marks on new belt with the marks on the gears not cover. i also counted number of teeth between cam gears (40).
i also tried the whiteout thing, doesnt seem to have helped. although i may not know what i am looking for well enough.
i will double check plug wires they are all marked though. i did have a tough time getting the drivers side wires down all the way- tight fit.
also will check injector connxs, but didnt touch those doing job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES!! running as smooth as a babies butt!! thanx for the help guys. here's what was wrong. i had the dist rotor advanced by one gear. the haynes manual is a little confusing on that. in one section it says to line up the rotor with the plug wire as it enters the cap, in another section it says the correct method which is using the marks on the shaft. the rotor then is actually facing at about 8 oclock if facing the engine. other things that i pulled a "rookie" on was not tightening down the thermostat housing enought the first time. (i'm now a pro at taking off everything up to the timing belt!!) and hooking up the timing light to #5 the first time. its right now though, yee haa!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.