Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,
Any help on this is appreciated, I have been trying to fix this for months.
My 86 has a hard time starting , especially on the first start of the day, it cranks (like the coil is disconnected), not a weak battery crank , the fuel pump primes, the car will then start with rough idle for a few seconds before kicking up to about 1000 rpm., then idles OK after that. On later starts, the car turns right over, no problems.
I get a code 21 and 41.
The plugs, PT, plug wires, have been replaced.
Timing is correct, battery is good also.
multiple vacuum hoses have been replaced to no advantage.
The CHTS and its subharness were replaced and fixed the error code for that several months ago. (this is a relativiley new problem).

Is there an answer for this elusive code 21 and my intermittent starting problem? I didn't think a code 41 was anything to worry about necessarily.

Thanks James

·
Registered
224 Posts
man my 85 turbo that i had and my 240sx with the 84 turbo both are hard starting cars don't want to start and run like crap until they are warm which takes a few minutes. then they run great. i chased that around for quite sometime myself. i never figured it out i just learned to live with it and hope i'm never in a hurry when its cold. i wish i could help you out i know how you feel.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
mine does that too but it turns over a couple times then kicks in and then it will mis for a few seconds after that it runs fine i think they all do that

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
i have a simular prblem but with an 86 turbo so the ecu swap isnt going to work for me is it?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The problem I'm describing, as far as I have discovered, only effects 84-85 non-turbos. If I had read closer and known that his was an 86 I probably wouldn't have posted but I could be wrong because the 87+ ECU's are what you want to swap in so it seems possible an 86 could suffer from the problem. With your 86 turbo it's probably not likely however.

·
Registered
224 Posts
both my turbo's the 85 i used to have and the 84 i have now are extremely cold blooded. not sure if its the same problem as what your having. they are a royal pain to start. once they start for about 3 minutes they run like crap, if you touch the gas they shut off. once they are warm they are jam up. its weird but i just got used to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.