ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted before with this problem...
1979 280zx non turbo, 5spd manual

My car tranny crunches in every gear up and down shifting when cold. As soon as the car warms up, it shifts very well (for a 20 year old car) People here, and all over have told me that I should drop the tranny fluid to something thinner... and that it would solve my prob. Well, I talked to a guy at a tranny shop here in town, and he said its probably the syncros. Now when the car warms up, would that affect the way the syncros work?? Or is this guy just trying to get $$ outta me?

Also, I know a buy in town who will replace all syncros (parts and labour included) for approx $400CANADIAN... is this a good deal? what does a job like this normally cost? Also will it make my tranny like new? While hes in there (if I have him do it) what else should be replaced?

Thank you, and sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
why don't you change your fluid and then go from there. that way at least you would know and possibly save yourself some money. this type of problem is usually caused by 90w oil in the gearbox. it was designed for 30w. the tranny won't work right until it gets hot and thins out the fluid. you should change the fluid and if the synchros still grind, then you can rebuild it.

$400 sounds pretty cheap for a tranny rebuild. i've bought some kits for these trannies and i paid $100 (american) in parts- my cost. that doesn't leave this mechanic much for labor. it just sounds too cheap. usually these rebuilds run around $800.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> why don't you change your fluid and then go
> from there. that way at least you would know
> and possibly save yourself some money. this
> type of problem is usually caused by 90w oil
> in the gearbox. it was designed for 30w. the
> tranny won't work right until it gets hot
> and thins out the fluid. you should change
> the fluid and if the synchros still grind,
> then you can rebuild it.

> $400 sounds pretty cheap for a tranny
> rebuild. i've bought some kits for these
> trannies and i paid $100 (american) in
> parts- my cost. that doesn't leave this
> mechanic much for labor. it just sounds too
> cheap. usually these rebuilds run around
> $800.

The shop rate that I was given was only $20 an hour because a friends brother would be the labourer. Although I will change the fluid to 30W and see if that helps first.

Thanks
I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 30 wieght gear oil or?

> hello was that 30 wieght gear oil for the
> tranny or motor oil

Tranny Oil.. right now there is gear oil in it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.