Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Got a question. All Z cars before the 300 have one thing in common no matter where they are. There is a certain sound that is produced at lower speeds that kinda sounds like a turbo spooling up and then back down as the driver progresses through the first couple of gears. I think this sound is produced by the engine fan but I have never really thought about it until now.
I was recently returning from a short trip when I noticed this high pitched "droning" sound at 80mph. When I would let off of the accelerator the sound would decrease in pitch and when I would floor it the sound would increase in pitch. I realized that this sounded just like the "normal" sound I was describing earlier but I have never noticed it at highway speeds. It is actually pretty loud and I am now worried that something is wrong. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Probably bad Fan clutch my Dad had the same problem with his suburban. I've heard you can take apart the clutch and just put more oil in it. Not sure the weight of oil. I doubt they would cost that much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Opie and Sam have it. Take the fan off (4 bolts), remove the clutch from the fan and disassemble the clutch housing (4 more bolts). Pry the clutch apart and flush out any old oil and contaminants with mineral spirits of brake cleaner. Wipe dry and inspect the seals for damage. Fill the shaft side of the housing with 90wt gear oil be sure there is no air trapped in the oil (tap unit on bench to get air out) then re-assemble. Or you can go buy a new clutch for about $60.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.