ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm new to 240zs, so be gentle.
When I was replacing the Diff, I noticed the sway bar link had broken through the lower control arm attachment point. I first thought I could weld it up in place, but decided it would be easier to just get a used lower control arm and install it.
I'm stuck at the point of removing the lock "bolt" from the lower control arm which secures the travsverse link pivot bolt. As shown in Haynes page 180, it says to remove the "bolt". Both sides of my rear suspension have threaded studs from above and nuts from befow. I tried double nutting the stud, light taps with a hammer, heating with the torch, but have not tried vice grips yet. The "bolt" I am referring to is labelled #1 in diagram Fig. 11.29 as shown on the attached. Can you help me!
Scott in CA
Font Rectangle Monochrome Monochrome photography Parallel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lock bolt came out easily, but not the transverse link. Does anyone know what the nut specifications are of the nuts on the end of the link? I am going to try the air ratchet idea. If that does not work, I will cut the link and take the lower control arm out to due additional de- construction. Thanks for all the help. I had not idea I was going into the quicksand!!!!.
cheers, Scott in CA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm going to try the tool first, then if that does not work, the slide hammer with the M8x1.25 die threaded on the spindle pin nut. As this entire process was first needed to replace the lower control arm, I also am going to install softer springs. So do I dare do this entire thing again, and risk what Thegosttanker said above?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I have not removed the spindle pin YET, but there is great progress. I needed a break, for nurisment and liquid refreshment!!! As noted above I bought THE TOOL from Zcardepot. I had already buggered up the threads on the spindle using the big washers and turning the spindle nut....both sides( nuts are stripped out). So I knew to use the tool I needed good threads. I bought a M12x1.25 die (BTW, the size was incorrectly stated above....same size as a lug nut) and fixed up the threads. I also bought 3 nuts from my local Ace Hardware. After I fixed up the threads with the die, the coupling would not go on the spindle. Well, that is were the nuts were helpful, as I used these to futher clean up the buggered threads on the spindle. So first I attached the tool at the rear of the car to the spindle and started cranking, it helped to have a ratchet wrench (19MM). The spindle moved about 3-4 mm and then the wrench would not turn without gorrilla force. So I switched ends and started over. I now have moved the spindle about 2 inches, and I'm getting gitty with pleasure. BTW, inorder to lub up the spindle when it was in place, I need to plug the locking pin hole on the bottom. I found a rubber plug used on brake tubing and fittings which worked great. That allowed me to fill up the locking pin cavity with BP Blaster. I will report later with a picture.
Scott in CA

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See the evidence......So I got it out......many thanks to the 19mm ratchet tool. Had to get garden gloves for both hands, lots of threads. Had to adjust the jack under the knuckle, as the spindle got bound up and wouldn't move.
All in all, a job well done, and the tool was a "god send."

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts