ZCar Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's my experience... With the suspension out of the car, I made a puller and quickly ruined the threads on the spindle pin. Next, I grabbed a hammer and started pounding on one end of the pin, then the other. Oh, plenty of heat and penetrating oil were used with little to no success. Any way, the pin would move a mm one way, then I'd hammer it a mm the other way. Pretty soon I had mushroomed the ends of the spindle pin. No way it's sliding through the hole now... I cut the pins off flush with the control arm and started hammering away using a socket extension as a drift. Again, a mm one way, then the other, and so on. The whole process took about 6-8 hours, ruined a couple socket extensions, and I had a really sore arm for a couple days. Be sure you double check the orientation before you install your new pins, the slot for the lock bolt is not centered so the pin has to go in the correct way. I purchased some aftermarket locking pins but the shape was a little different. Luckily I kept the old pins so I could use them as a reference while I ground down the aftermarket pins with a grinder. Why didn't I use the original pins? Well, the 4 foot pounds (I think it was 4) that the FSM called for when tightening the lock pins actually broke the pin. It was not a fun day.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts