ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to remove the tint from my back window, because it's old and purple. I removed only small pieces of the purple tint, but the window still has some kind of glue. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i've heard a water/ammonia mix will help it. it may be more worthwhile to hav a shop do it because I've heard it is a huge PITA. and while it's in the tint shop, they can go ahead and professionally install new tint!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Tint shops charge an arm and a leg to do the rear tint. They don't like dealing with the rear defroster/antenna. A hairdryer will help loosen the glue.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've personally have taken the tint of a car before and it is a PITA but most places will charge you extra for it. i did it just take a bit of time. Ive never heard of the amonia and water mix, i just used a blade and some windex for lubrication.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We had to remove some clear stickers from the windshield of my mom's old car, and found that common rubbing alcahol did the trick.

Worth trying at least.

Bob

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I took my entire old (purple) tint off of my car last year, and then had it professionally installed with a lifetime warranty. It is a real patients/time killer so make sure you have lots on hand. I used the blade and widex combo with a heat gun for backup, also be very careful not to cut the defroster lines.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Others have suggested parking car in the sun, spraying the window down with some water and taping a plastic bag over it. The water vaporizes and allows the tint to be pulled off.

Probably something that works better in the warmer months?

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
1) Remove film with a razor blade.

2)If the remaining glue is thick and very gummy, spray with WD-40 and scrape with a razor blade to remove.

3)After the worst is gone, remove the rest of the "sticky" and the WD-40 with acetone. (Dad buys acetone by the quart at Lowes I think.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
The absolute best thing to remove glue is Pure Citrus Air Freshener, NOT their normal household cleaner. The air freshener is super concentrated, and the amount of petroleum in it will break down glue faster than Goo Gone or Goof Off..... You can buy the cans at Home Depot in the cleaning isle. Im a vendor for home depot, so I have to scrape off their price tags, and put new ones on after I set new planograms, and that stuff is all I use. It smells badass too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
search, we discussed this last year. Generally it is worth paying a professional to remove it - often included in replacement pricing. I did my whole car for about 200$ with very high quality tint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.