ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i take off in my 76 280z the car picks up speed slow till about 3000 then it takes off like rocket.is this normal for this car is there some thing wrong with my car.if this is normal then what can i do to make the car take off fast from idel on up to full throttle.will a cam help this.could it be my timing or some thing like that.the car does runn alittle rich but i used a hotter plug now.thanks for all the help you guys have gave me

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't know the solution, but...

My '77 just HATES everything under about 2400R. Don't get me wrong, the car runs wonderful and idles and starts beautifully and everything, but it just despises pulling below about 2500. Oh it will do it, but once you hit 25 or so, it takes off strong. Traveling through town is the toughest. It would much rather be going 35 in third (+ - 3300) or even 2nd (+ - 4000) than chugging along in fourth at around 2500. It kinda limps and rolls and just begs to be shifted down or stepped on. **** car! Someday it will not have a mind of its own.

Seriously, I have been told a 6A will solve this (and it is on my Cristmas list.) Sounds a bit easy. Perhaps the car is just a bit high-strung. Ya think?

steve 77

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Re: I don't know the solution, but...

dialing up the timing a degree or so will help bottom end torque a little but will hurt the top end.. slightly.. turn it up alot things change alot.. use good gas if you do do it.. no 87! 90 or better..and get vpower plugs from NGK.. if you have a 240 theyre # 4291.. big difference for me.. i keep my timing at 10 degrees btdc.. 3 deg. past fac specs in my 240

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

ignition helps, but sounds like your vacuum advance isn't working properly.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

i dont think the vacuum kicks in till the higher revs.. past 4k i think.. i may be wornd htough

·
Registered
972 Posts

The 75 & 76 vacuum advance is unique. First off there are two pickup coils in the distributor, one while the engine is cold and the other for normal operation. Then the vacuum advance only activates after the engine is warm and "top gear" is selected (you're in 4th gear). So most of what you're feeling is the point in which the mechanical advance starts to have real effect.

These systems seem quite strange to us now, but you have to remember that this was only the 2nd year of electronic fuel injector ... and previous to government mandated emissions.

So although all year Zs prefer to run above 3500-4000, these models perticularly run better at that speed.

ConorP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.