ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 76 280z is running rich.when i turn the key on i can hear the 3rd injector from the front of the engine spraying fuel.is this the cold start injector.or is it bad.i had a set of injector from a 83 280zx that i put on the car and it does the same thing.are the 83 injector the same.if not which one should i use.also can any one tell me how to adjust the afm.any help would be greatly appreciated

freez

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sounds like ou are starting from absolute square 1. My advice is to get yourself an FSM (dealer Service manual), and figure out how Fuel Injection works. There are som many things that could be wrong that it is difficult to guess what the problem could be. The cold start injector is nowhere near the injectors that feed the cylinders. Be sure fo hwat you are hearing. Put something to it and feel vibration before you guess what is working and what is not. If the 3rd form the front is pouring fuel into the cylinder, that your entire system is messed up. That is practically impossible. You may be mistaking it for the Fuel Pressure Regulator, which when it fails makes a hissing sound. You cannot and should not touch the AFM. If ti has been altered then it is likely f'ed. Your problem is probably more basic (vacuum leak, something not connected, perhaps the regulator). Pretty hard to advise when it is this bad. Get a manual! Sorry, just being honest.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can i check my fuel pressure regulator.i can hear my fuel pump runninr non stop

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
freez wrote:
>
> how can i check my fuel pressure regulator.i can hear my fuel
> pump runninr non stop.are the injector the same.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
John Cross gave you some great advise... get the FSM! Go to www.ideal-z.com and follow their link to the Courtsey Nissan site where you can order the factory service manual on cd-rom. While at the Courtsey site, check out their videos... order the Ztherapy understanding FI video. It is a must have and will explain how the FI system works. The video is worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
There is a complicated procedure for the fuel pressure regulator. Basically, if it cannot hold presure afteryou shut the car off, you will hear a hissing sound from it after you shut the car down. Gas will be leakign throuigh the diaphram into the vacuum line, and from there into the intake., The fuel pump runs all fo the time, so I am not surprised you can hear it. Great observation. You would be best advised to get a manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that the '83 fuel injectors are the same .I've been told that Voltswagon
has the same injectors .They are made by Bosch .Better get a manual like the Haynes
TECHBOOK "FUEL INJECTION 1978 thru 1985 "about 20 bucks at your auto
store .Tells you all about injection and it's parts ,good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.