ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a old couple that live near me selling thier original 107,000 mile '73. Thier daughter bought the car new and has only changed the radio and painted it white (was yellow). I've seen it parked only in the garage and at the grocery store once. It looks good, with three of the original hub caps on it, a small shopping car dent along the drivers fender and door. Other than that the body is straight. The interior looked good when I walked past it too. Would this Z, with the original flat top carbs, be to much of a hassle with things like Vapor lock and stuff to commute in? And what could I sell it for when clean and original?
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>73's are Interesting Cars....</b>

Anthony,

I like your taste in 240Z's. I have one myself. I drive it almost everyday. Just about everyone changes out the flat top carbs for earlier SU's (70 - 72's) and the way I like to see this done... is to replace the manifold and Air cleaner. Throttle linkage is no problem and works with what ya all ready have. This is the way I like it... but feel free to do it anyway ya want... Motorsports does have an adapter so you can use the stock air cleaner. Otherwise, its a bolt on the SU's, adjust, and determine what will happen for air filtration. K&N has a nice setup that increases flow and looks good.... Besides the carb change over... that's all you would "need" to start with, if everything else is good... cooling, tranny, suspension, brakes...etc. This sounds like a good car... however rust is an ingredent that can't be over looked... Check the fender wells, below the battery box, around the hatch... floor pans, and windows. These are all known problem areas for rust. Surface rust is one thing.. rust that has eaten away the medal is another. Fixing this stuff is hard work.

Value... I would be fair about it... I have seen rust buckets go for $3-500. Nice stuff... gee depends on how nice. The 73 240Z that Nissan had restored sold for $29,500 about... that's where they started. I saw a nice Z a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $15k. In each case, these were very clean cars. As for your car, sight unseen... and listed as you mentioned... I would guess..

$2,500 to $5,000... this is a ball park figure

Ask them what they want for it... if the price is what your willing to pay.. do it...

Good Luck,

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 73's are Interesting Cars....</b>

I bought a '73 new. Dennis is "right on the money" with his comments. I would only add that I had no problems with the flat-tops in warm weather. However, they were _impossible_ in cold weather!!!

If you live in a place where the temperature stays above freezing most of the time, the original carbs might serve you well. Then you can keep it stock.

If you decide to modify the car, replacing the carbs would probably be your first upgrade. At that point you might want to consider webers, etc.

Good luck.

Lee

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
too good to be true? 73

<HTML>I have found a 73' with a claimed 39k original miles. I have checked the car out, and it is clean. One owner for the last 25 years, and he wants only $2500! I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to z cars, so here goes... Is there a acurate way to test the authenticity of the mileage? The car is clean in and out , but had a second-rate paint job 15 years back. It has a little bondo on the rear wheel wells, and a couple small holes in the floor. The engine bay is immaculate. Also, it has dual carbs with strange canisters with dipsticks on top of them. I figure these aren't the flat top carbs no one seems to want. Any info you all have would be helpful.
Thanks Joe</HTML>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.