ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help- I need a lead on getting a portion of a LSD case- I need the 2nd half of the LSD. It is the carrier housing which has the perch for the wheel bearing near where the axle bearing mounts. Please let me know if you know where I can get the case for a reasonable price. Thanks Seth

· Registered
470 Posts
stwallack,

are you sure that you need some special LSD case for an R180LSD? From what I know about transfering internals from R200 units, where you can swap a LSD chunk into a non-LSD unit. I would think you just need to find another R180 and swap out the guts that include the ring and pinion as these are special to the LSD unit. For the R200, the ring gear uses the larger 12mm bolts instead of the 10mm bolts of the non-LSD unit. I would verify this before you think you need some special housing. Also, the Suburu legens used the R180LSD and can be had for fairly cheap. I am 90% sure you can use any R180 housing. Let us know what you find.
BTW, I know that you purchased this unit from Joel for use in your V8 powered Z. I know Joel personally and he is a straight shooter and would not knowingly sell something that is faulty. If I can help just let me know.

· Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: LSD Case Itself

The casting that contains the differential, stub axles, pinion and ring gears, etc. is referred to as the "Housing, Final Drive." The internal unit that contains the bevel gears and bolts to the ring gear is referred to as the "Case - Differential."

I don't know if that part of the Nissan Comp LSD has a separate part number. The standard Nissan part number for Case - Differential is: 38421-78500 if that helps.

- John

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
"Wheel Bearing" Axle Bearing?

I'm with JOhn, I'm not sure what part you are referring to. The axle bearing is outboard on the case, with the wheel bearing on the car's A-Arm. Are you referring to the physical housing the differential sits in, or the carrier that the Ring Gear bolts to? There are several types of those, and we'd need to know 2 or 4 pinion, plate or viscous, blah blah blah.
If it's the outer case, I'm with James, the housings are interchangable for the most part. There are "long nose" and "short nose" versions that come in some of the 4X4 trucks, but they are obviously so different on the outside, you can figure that out.

I thought the Subaru Diffs were R160's...

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: stwallack,

240z twin turbo- thanks for the reply. The differential shop originally said I could use my non-LSD case and swap the parts so I gave them my R180 from out of the car. When they got it they said it could not be done. I wonder if they are sure of what they are doing. I am trying to get a digital image of the part that needs to be replaced. Didn't know about the Subaru though- what years. Maybe I should talk with a Subaru dealer or wrecking yard and find the diff. When I get more info I will pass it onto Joel. He seems like an honest guy- This whole diff. thing is very frustrating. Seth

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: "Wheel Bearing" Axle Bearing?

Tony- I think it is the carrier housing. The part that is broken is on the same side as the ring gear and what is broken is the perch for the bearing on that side. The axle bearing mounts to this portion of the differential that is broken. Now I am just typing what was told to me over the phone and have not seen it yet. I am going to call a man named Ron Johnson at Nissan Motorsports. I think the mechanic talked with him and I will try and get more info and possibly a part number. Thanks for the info. Seth

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Is it possible,

240z- the problems with that (that it was dropped during shipping) are 1) it is a casted piece inside the casing that broke but nothing else and 2) and probably most important is that the broken perch shows signs of metal on metal contact indicating that the bearing/ diff. was used after the perch broke and I never got a chance to install it into my car but this type of wear could not have happened during shipping. Please look into the Subaru diff. if you think that is an option to get the carrier housing from. Thanks, Seth

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Ron ain't there no more...

There were issues. Ron isn't at teh Nimso dept anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.