ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 83ZX and found both frame rails are crushed...the right side is also pretty rusted. They are crushed just behind the firewall where you would normally put a floorjack. Does anybody know the best way to repair this damage? Luckily, the rust has not spread to the floor pans.

G

·
Re: Help - Need Advice on crushed frame rails (83Z

Thats why they are crushed, you don't jack a ZX up by its rails. Use only the front crossmember to jack up the car and use stands with a big support point for the rails. Find a good welder, he can fix you up, or buy frame rail caps that bolt over the rail. Don't let someone use a floor lift if they look like they don't know what they are doing. Use a wheel lift or when I bought new tires I made them use the alignment rack, that lifts the suspension. Do a history search to find out where to buy frame caps in this site.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Help - Need Advice on crushed frame rails (83Z

> I recently purchased a 83ZX and found both
> frame rails are crushed...the right side is
> also pretty rusted. They are crushed just
> behind the firewall where you would normally
> put a floorjack. Does anybody know the best
> way to repair this damage? Luckily, the rust
> has not spread to the floor pans.

Well actually this damage does come from the use of a floor jack. However, this also comes from a few flaws that Nissan did during there design. Silly I must add is that Nissan routed the air conditioning drip tube down into that before mentioned rusty right frame rail. That is what occured on my 81 Turbo. The remedy is to remove all the rust by cutting out the rusty metal and replading it with new stuff. The Z models are a very sturdy unibody. What I did with my bad areas = 1st i cut out the bad rusted stuff

= 2nd replaced those sections with 16 gauge sheet metal that I bent into shape. I did this in multiple pieces to fit the up kick in the frame as it heads towards the rack.
Just weld over the remaining rail.
I would not worry to badly with the looks since not many people look there in the 1st place and secondly you will recover the areas with undercoating which will blend it with the rest of the areas.
I would not mess with any of the other smashed in areas just the rusted ones since the unibody is strong in design. The only other way would be to replace the rails which include the floor pan but does not stretch up past the firewall.
My cost was a few pieces of metal approx. $10 if that and about 4 hours of my own labor. Good luck. IF any more questions e-mail me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.