ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh shi*t, this sucks. I took the EGR valve off my car to see if it was working properly. It was really clogged so I cleaned it, cut a new gasket and reinstalled it. When I started the car, it backfired shortly after starting, blorting a huge black stain all over my driveway, and then idled rougher than sandpaper, then stalled. From here, it would not start anymore, just turn over and occasionally a plug or 2 would fire.

So far, I THINK that not all pistons are firing as normal. It sounds like sometimes some are missing. Lots of exhaust comes out the back end and it smells VERY rich of gasoline, which also leads me to believe not all pistons are firing.

I pulled the plugs and cleaned them (werent too dirty, just a bit fouled from rich mixture) and reinstalled them. It started on the first try, but went back to the nasty rough idle right away. I'd have to practically floor it just to keep it running, and the more pedal I gave it, the more it would misfire. So I let off, and it died again.

Next, I pulled the EGR valve off again, and tried starting it. It runs really rough, and also at about 2500 RPM (1900 with idle adjust ALL the way closed). Exhaust was coming out of the EGR tube from the exh. manifold like it was supposed to, and TONS of air was being sucked into the other hole into the intake. I could cover up the intake hole and the idle would drop down, and it all sounded like it was running pretty smooth, but when I open the throttle, it gets sick again, puffing out un/partially burned gass and trying to stall.

Someone PLEASE tell me what I did wrong!!! Could a bug or something have fallen into the intake hole while I was answering the phone? It was running BEAUUUUUTIFULLY until I took the stupid EGR valve off and cleaned it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
529 Posts
> Oh shi*t, this sucks. I took the EGR valve
> off my car to see if it was working
> properly. It was really clogged so I cleaned
> it, cut a new gasket and reinstalled it.
> When I started the car, it backfired shortly
> after starting, blorting a huge black stain
> all over my driveway, and then idled rougher
> than sandpaper, then stalled. From here, it
> would not start anymore, just turn over and
> occasionally a plug or 2 would fire.

> So far, I THINK that not all pistons are
> firing as normal. It sounds like sometimes
> some are missing. Lots of exhaust comes out
> the back end and it smells VERY rich of
> gasoline, which also leads me to believe not
> all pistons are firing.

> I pulled the plugs and cleaned them (werent
> too dirty, just a bit fouled from rich
> mixture) and reinstalled them. It started on
> the first try, but went back to the nasty
> rough idle right away. I'd have to
> practically floor it just to keep it
> running, and the more pedal I gave it, the
> more it would misfire. So I let off, and it
> died again.

> Next, I pulled the EGR valve off again, and
> tried starting it. It runs really rough, and
> also at about 2500 RPM (1900 with idle
> adjust ALL the way closed). Exhaust was
> coming out of the EGR tube from the exh.
> manifold like it was supposed to, and TONS
> of air was being sucked into the other hole
> into the intake. I could cover up the intake
> hole and the idle would drop down, and it
> all sounded like it was running pretty
> smooth, but when I open the throttle, it
> gets sick again, puffing out un/partially
> burned gass and trying to stall.

> Someone PLEASE tell me what I did wrong!!!
> Could a bug or something have fallen into
> the intake hole while I was answering the
> phone? It was running BEAUUUUUTIFULLY until
> I took the stupid EGR valve off and cleaned
> it.

> [email protected]

Remember this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Is it possible that you have gotten carb cleaner into the intake manifold causing a rich mixture? How long did you let the engine run after you reinstalled the EGR? If I were you, I would the motor run for a while. Maybe drive it around the block if you can. You may just have some carb cleaner in the EGR ports that is causing a rich mixture. What year is the car? Does it have an O2 sensor? If so, did you use O2 safe cleaner? Other things to check: fuel pressure, should be 37 to 42 psi. Throttle switch, make sure it's not in the full throttle position. Airflow meter, coolant temp sensor. These all have a drastic effect on the air/fuel mixture. Can't tell you much else w/out more info. Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water in the Manifold?

I think that there is water in the intake manifold. Last night before going to bed, I took out the spark plugs and cleaned em again. This morning I went out, installed the plugs and cranked 'er over. Started like a dream!! I was happy, so I pulled out of the garage and took it for a spin around the block (Not 1/4 mile away like I did yesterday (and ended up walking back home)). Everything was fine until I started the 2nd trip around the block, when she started acting up again; hesitating, misfiring and coughing. I managed to get the car back to my driveway (after stalling 3 times). I let it sit for awhile and started it again. Everything was fine, it sounded beautiful. I let it run idle for about 20 minutes while studying the Chilton's manual a bit. I was bored and started rocking the car side to side, and it started coughing and spitting again, and eventually returned to normal idle. Every time I rock the car around, it starts acting up again, so I think there may be water in the intake manifold from when I cleaned the EGR valve. It's probably sitting in some dips in there, and when tilted to the left enough, some water gets in.

If this is the case, who knows a way to get water out of a manifold without pulling it off??

ca[email protected]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: Water in the Manifold?

The water should have evaporated by now. Maybe check the water temperature sensor the connector may not be tight.or check the grounds.

Did you spray the engine off with water? maybe you got water in the sensors. A little water in the manifold should not make that much of a difference.

Also check the airflow meter connection maybe it's loose?

hopefully one of these will fix your problem.

> I think that there is water in the intake
> manifold. Last night before going to bed, I
> took out the spark plugs and cleaned em
> again. This morning I went out, installed
> the plugs and cranked 'er over. Started like
> a dream!! I was happy, so I pulled out of
> the garage and took it for a spin around the
> block (Not 1/4 mile away like I did
> yesterday (and ended up walking back home)).
> Everything was fine until I started the 2nd
> trip around the block, when she started
> acting up again; hesitating, misfiring and
> coughing. I managed to get the car back to
> my driveway (after stalling 3 times). I let
> it sit for awhile and started it again.
> Everything was fine, it sounded beautiful. I
> let it run idle for about 20 minutes while
> studying the Chilton's manual a bit. I was
> bored and started rocking the car side to
> side, and it started coughing and spitting
> again, and eventually returned to normal
> idle. Every time I rock the car around, it
> starts acting up again, so I think there may
> be water in the intake manifold from when I
> cleaned the EGR valve. It's probably sitting
> in some dips in there, and when tilted to
> the left enough, some water gets in.