ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've know for quite some time that when I finally have the money, I'll get myself a Z and drop a rebuilt 350 Chevy in it. I figure the Z will cost me around $3,000 or so and the engine will cost me around $2,000, so the Z and engine will be around $5,000. These estimates I got from looking for Zs on Ebay and looking for rebuilt 350s around the internet. I want the whole shibang to cost around $10,000, maybe a bit more. I definately want to throw some 17"s on and lower it a bit, so that will cost and the rest I want to spend on the engine.

Are the prices of the car and engine I'm thinking about right, or am I missing something? What are the 17"s and lowering going to cost? How much do kits for putting the 350 in the Z cost? How much is going to left over for the engine? What should I get for the engine with the left over cash? I really, REALLY want a blower for it. Will there be enough left over? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd definately poke around HybridZ.org, they will be right up your alley. As for the 350 kit, it depends on how much you are willing to do yourself. Motorsports sells kits peice by peice, so you could get a bolt up kit with everything,or just the necessities that you don't want to fabricate yourself. Your choice all the way. There is also alot of other things that may interest you besides the 350. There is alot of options out there to get a fast, cheap car with a z. Good hunting to ya.

Dylan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been to hybridz.org, I do need to read up a bit more there. What else would be of interest to be besides the 350? I really don't like the idea of building up a 2.4 liter to around 300hp, I'm not a fan of small displacement, I like big engines that go vroooom :). Any ideas on how much a blower for the 350 cost? Could I get a new hook to accomadate the hole needed for the blower? Ideas?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't think that you'll need a big blower to go fast.... keep in mind that there is a limit to how much power you can put through the chasis, remember stock is less than 140, so a jump to 500 might make a twizzler out of the car unless you start getting into serious chassis mods (roll cage, reinforced frame, etc) Also keep in mind weather you want a dragster or a twisties car. Personaly i would prefer a car that could be decent in the 1/4, but more for the autocross end of things. Other engines have been, well, alot of other things have been stuffed into z's. right from big blocks to 20B mazda 3-rotors.

·
Registered
269 Posts
How many of you guys have seen the videos of a guy called Darius's 240Z?
Hes got a supercharged 350 chev & 6 speed manual, just under 600hp AND 600lb/ft of torque. Its one mighty fast Z, quite interesting to watch, I've got a movie of him racing an R1 motorbike and winning and it appears to be able to spin the wheels very well in nearly every gear :) I'd love to know what kind of 1/4 it runs.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey clumzy,
Those prices u mention sounds about right but u got to consider the little things such as the brakes, suspension, differential, transmission, drive shaft, alt, block hugger headers, frame work, and other things that always comes up in the process. If 10K is what u have to finish the job you will have a super fast car and good handling Z8 within reach. This includes using all new parts and 50% of the work done by u but if you look around, don't mind using used stuff, and doing 75% of the work you should be way under the 10K mark. Step back and created a list of all the stuff you will need, include stuff that u could do on your own, and prices to use as a check list. This will help you get all the peices u need plus it will give you a good idea of what its going to cost.
Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.