ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is working on my car in Florida trying to get it to Arizona and he called me today and said that for 10 seconds after starting the car it runs fine but then after ten seconds it loses injectors 4,5,6 ... It is a 1983 280zx Non-Turbo with L28 engine.. Please HELP!!! Any suggestions welcome!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Plan A: Verify if injectors are not working. Start engine. Get a long screw driver or mechanic's stethoscope and listen for clicking sound from the suspect injectors. If continuous clicking sound is present, then injectors are getting energized. If no clicking sound, go to plan B.

Plan B: Check continuity of each injector's solenoid. Remove connectors from injectors and measure the resistance of each injector solenoid. Normal value is about 2 to 3 ohms. If OK go to plan C.

Plan C: Measure continuity of wiring harness from ECU connector to injectors. Here's how you do it. Connect connectors back to injectors. Disconnect battery (make sure!). Pull out the connector from ECU. For injector number four, measure resistance between terminals 5 and 17 of the connector (not the ECU); for injector number five, terminals 3 and 17; and for injector number six, terminals 2 and 17. For each measurement, resistance value should be about 2 to 3 ohms. This value is the resistance of each solenoid in the injector.

A. If reading is 0 ohms, then you have a short or ground in your harness.
B. If reading is significantly larger than 3 ohms, then you probably have
a frayed wire, loose connection, or open in the harness.

While you are there, you might as well check all the injectors. For injector number one, terminals 8 and 17; for injector number two, terminals 7 and 17; for injector number three, terminals 6 and 17.

IMPORTANT: Of course you have to make sure that each connector go their respective injector. It is possible to inadvertently connect the connectors to the wrong injector!!

If continuity check is OK, go to plan D.

Plan D. Check if battery voltage reaches the injectors. Here's how you do this. Reconnect battery. Measure voltage between the following terminals on the connector (not the ecu) and ground.

Injector number one: terminal 8 and ground
Injector number two: terminal 7 and ground
Injector number three: terminal 6 and ground
Injector number four: terminal 5 and ground
Injector number five: terminal 3 and ground
Injector number six: termianl 2 and ground.

In all cases, you should read about 12 volts. If no voltage then go to plan E.

Plan E: Let me know the results and we will continue. (My wife is staring at me now. I don't like that look!)

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.