ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock muffler is about to fall off from rust, and my piping is equally rusty!
I have a 79' 280ZX, and I need an exhaust system. Should I just get a Menieke muffler, or just replace the whole thing and get a Exhaust system for more power?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What Exactly Do You Want?

I opted for the Motorsport Auto headers and a Targa exhaust system with a rear crossover pipe that has twin outlets on both sides. It was an easy installation, looks good and has a nice, mellow sound to it. Going to the corner muffler shop will save you a few bucks and a little time, but you may not be as pleased with the results.

The tubular header replaced the factory block because older factory units tend to warp and leak, causing power loss. Anyhow, it was a cheaper and more permanent solution to switch to a tubular header unit than remove and remachine the old header block. Ol' Slim hates to do the same job twice.

Victoria-British, Ltd. and J.C. Whitney also offer relatively inexpensive and good quality 280 exhaust systems. Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Do not buy one of those kits!</b>

IMO you should go to a local exhaust shop and for around 200 bucks you can get a 2.5 pipe as well as a preformance free flowing muffler, mandrel bends, and no freeking clamps.
Zya Travis 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Do not buy one of those kits!

I asked the same question to my cousin,(he is the VP of marketing for Arc Audio-and a frequent show car competion winner), he told me to go have Flowmaster exhaust put on. 2.25-2.5 inch stainless pipe, duel-chamber muffler, and some tips. He knows the guy that started flowmaster, and swears they are the best out there. ****, he has flowmaster on ALL of his cars, and he is a picky *******!

Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Flow master is not gonna be real cheap, I think the muffler is about $60 if I remember right, but it is a good free flowing muffler. I don't think I would bother putting one on a stock engine though. If you take your own muffler to a shop, they won't like it cause they don't get to sell you theirs, and they'll crank up the labor some. You should call for a ballpark first if they'll give you one and tell them you have your own muffler to see what they'll charge. The Z is an extremely easy car to weld an exhaust for.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Thats what I want to do but Im looking for the best flow out there with a free flowing cat
that sould make my Turbo happy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: ABSOLUTELY Do not buy one of those kits!

Bought the Turbo Exhaust kit from Motorsport. The first tube that comes off THEIR 6 into 1 header would have angled into the side of the transmission tunnel! Had to spend an additional $120 having a muffler shop make a correctly fitting tube. Motorsport apologized, claimed that the system I got was from "an older run of incorrectly angled systems they thought they had gotten rid of" (I've heard from others who have heard the same excuse from them in the past) and offered to cover the cost of a newly fabricated pipe which they claimed should only be "about $20 or so." I don't even want to waste the postage sending them the $120 bill, but I probably will, eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.