ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 280 has been in the garage all winter. I went out to open the hood last night and found the cable or latch is frozen. How can I get in? (Other than dynamite)

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
> My 280 has been in the garage all winter. I
> went out to open the hood last night and
> found the cable or latch is frozen. How can
> I get in? (Other than dynamite)

This will work as well as dynamite, but it isn't nearly as easy. Remove the bolts that retain the hood hinges from the underside of the car's front end and gently raise the front of the hood being careful not to bend it. Take a pair of bent needlenose pliers or a sturdy tool with a hook on the end of it and pull the spring-loaded plate on the left (driver's side) underside of the latch assembly toward the left side of the car about 3/8 of an inch. This is the vertical plate to which the hood release cable is affixed. At this point, the latch's hasp assembly should pop open and release the hood. I'd suggest taking a look at the latch assembly on another Z-car before you start so you'll know where the spring loaded plate on the latch is. If the latch is frozen, try shooting it with a little super-penetrant like Break-Free or Liquid Wrench and try again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.