ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of reinstalling my cylinder heads after a valvejob and cam change.
When I pulled the head, I failed to mark the chain and sprocket to make sure the cam was in the right position during reinsallation. I see that there are numerous dots around the circumference of the sprocket, some with numbers, and some that are just holes. I am installing the cam with the dowel pin in the number 1 position on the cam sprocket. How is the sprocket oriented on the head? For instance does the #1 dot on the sprocket face towards the deck of the block at TDC? I really do need some help here...I would love to have this thing screaming again by monday!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you set the engine to TDC on #1? If you did not your biggest problem isnt going to be orienting the cam crank relative to the distributor. The horrible fact may be if you release the timing chain to alter the crank the tensioner will fall out meaning front cover removal. The tensioners in the inline six are oil pressure activated with minor spring tention. If you drop it you have a real head ache, so so long monday start up. gl

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Haynes manual has an excellent description of how to line up the crank, cam, and timing chain. fallon is correct - you will have to pull the radiator, etc to get at and remove the front timing chain cover if you didn't keep the chain taught against the crank sprocket. If you have to go through all that, it would be silly not to replace the timing chain and sprockets. They don't last forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.