ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I just purchased an aftermarket tachometer from sunpro for my 1982 280ZX non-turbo. and I need some help on the installation

The directions say:

1. Connect the black wire to the negative battery terminal (ok no problem)

2.Connect the green wire to the negative side of the ignition coil. (ok no problem)

3. Connect the red wire to any vehicle harness wire which is energized with battery voltage, ONLY when the ignition key is in the ON (RUN) position, NOT OFF or ACCESSORIES. ...Problem?? what wire would this be and where is it located and what color is it?

4. Connect the white wire to the instrument panel lighting circuit or any lead that is controlled by the instrument panel dimmer control. Problem? What wire should this be and where is it located/color......Would it work if I spliced the wire into one of the side parking lights. They don't come on until you put the lights on? but I guess you can't dim the light then. (however, I never use the dimmer the light are dim enough.) If it would work which one of the two wires on the light would I use??

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks and take care!

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Re: Help! How to wire up an aftermarket Tachometer

The red wire would connect to any wire that is hot when the ignition is on. No specific colour. As for the light, if you can get up behind your guages connect it to the wire to the bulb in the guage or wire it to your dimmer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.