ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does a timing chain last and how much would a machanic charge for on to be put in, in a '76 280z. I want to be sure I am not being over charged for my chain which they said would cost 500.00 for.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Help Help HELP HELP</b>

The longevity of the timing chain is dependent upon the frequency of oil changes and whether or not you use an OE chain set. Under normal circumstances I've seen them to last around 150K miles. Outlaw (aftermarket) chains have failed with as little as 50K miles. As far as price, it shouildn't be hard to do the math. Aproximately 4 hours flat rate? $50 an hour + parts. Its been a while since I've priced the chain set

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'd wager something like that should run about $300, given that it can't be much harder than a timing belt on a fwd car. On the Z, you'll need the chain, the sprockets(dependant on wear), a valve cover gasket, and a front crank seal, and the oil pan gasket. That should be it. While you have it apart, spend the extra hour's labor and have them adjust your valves.-Lynn

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The timing chain kit from MSA runs about $100.00. Includes everything you need. For someone who knows what they are doing 4 hours is a pretty good guess. You have to remove the radiator and fluid, drain the oil, remove the cam cover and front cover, remove the oil pump, remove the old chain. Put in the new chain properly positioned, reinstall everything. The biggest voodoo in the whole mess is getting the distributor set right. The drive gear tends to rotate off its proper position. I'd say $350.00 or $400.00 tops. But then I don't work on other peoples cars.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
my car has 103K on it and 3 weeks ago I had a new chain put on

$94 for the chain set and $340 for the labor
they said it was a 8 hour job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.