Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I am new to the Z-owners ranks and the car that I have has been sitting in excess of 12 years. I got the motor to turn over with the starter and it turns pretty well. I went to drain the gas and luckily it was just about completely empty, I changed the filter(gas) and put new fuel in it. The fuel pump does not seem to turn on when the key is on or while cranking. Nothing. Any suggestions? Oh one thing that was a problem is the throttle valve was pretty stuck when I got it.It took some wd-40
and some working but at least it moves now. Any suggestions? Please use laymans terms, I am not to familiar with the components in the engine compartment etc.... Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
It always helps to indicate year and model. Some years were configured differently than others.

Tom D.

·
Registered
362 Posts
First varify that the pump actually works. on cars that sit the fuel varnishes, that is it evaporates and leaves all the solids behind. This can cause a crud to build up and in some cases were condensation is aloud to form water droplets they fall to the bottom of the tank and displace fuel, water then rust the components of fuel system that they touch. Even a 'sealed' fuel system can condonsate water inside, due to the vent in the fuel cell, and all cars have them. Unhook the wires to the fuel pump, in the rear and under the car behind the rear passenger side suspension assy. hook up a 12 or 6 volt battery of moderate size and listen for the motor spinning. You don't have to turn it for vary long just to varify. if it spins than it maybe some other problem. But the car will need to run before the pump will run. A snowball effect it you preferr. Starting the car is crucial. If the car is fuel injected with the 12 years of sitting you may need some work on the fuel system, new hoses and all parts cleaned out, you will need a chilton book to identify components. I would change ALL fluids, brakes, coolent, trans, rearend, and engine oil. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.